• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broadhead Question

I just recently had some work done on my bow and sighted it in using 100 gr. field tips, thinking that my broadheads were also 100 gr. I'm shooting 2" groups at 20 yards and 4-5" groups at 40 yards with my field tips, so I'm very comfortable and confident with my current setup. My dad and I are heading up to Canada to bear hunt in September, so today I decided I should shoot my broadheads to make sure ther is no major difference in flight. When I got my broadheads out, I realized that they are 90 gr., and not 100 gr. like I thought. I shot a few arrows anyways, and I am hitting about 6 - 8" higher than my field tips (left and right is still OK). (I am using Muzzy 4 blade broadheads) Is it normal that there would be such a large difference due to a 10 gr. difference in weight, or is the air resistence of the broadhead causing this difference?

Thanks!

Just wondering what kind of work you had done on your bow?

10 grains will make a difference. I've shot lighted nocks that are 12 grains heavier than my regular nocks and I can see a difference at twenty yards. The farther out you go the more difference you will see.

Why not just buy some 100 grain heads?

Most, not all, but most broadhead issues can be minimized by having a properly tuned bow. Also, some people tend to change their form when they start to shoot broadheads. Just a mental issue of having something sharp on the end of their arrows.

Have you checked your arrow flight. Put on a lighted nock and see if your arrows wag while in flight. Do this to a field point and broadhead and see if there are any different flight characteristics.

Easiest thing to do is buy heavier broadheads.

I didn't have much done to my bow itself, just added a larger peep sight for better visibility. Most of the work done was to my arrows, as I made the switch from 4" vanes to 2" blazers. I had it paper tuned with the new fletchings. I only re-sighted because I was hitting higher by a couple of inches with the new blazers. I seem to be getting good arrow flight with my field tips and broadheads, however the broadheads are hitting higher.

I'll be making the switch to 100 gr. 4 blade muzzys in the future. Hopefully that will put my broadhead flight more in sync with my field tip flight. I was a little hesitent to switch now, as I still have 4 perfectly good 90 gr. broadheads left from last year. Those should be used by the end of the year though, as I'll be bear hunting and also plan to fill 3 archery deer tags as well. Might make the switch to 100 grain heads for bear hunting, and use the 90 grain heads for deer hunting after.

I'm considering trying the new MX-4's. I've never had a problem with my current muzzys, but it seems like the added blade thickness couldn't hurt when it comes to crushing bone!

Thanks for the input!

I believe the blazers are a hair lighter than 4" vanes also. When you add that to the lighter broadheads I can see why there is a difference.

It's good that the only difference is you're shooting higher. Strictly a weight issue. Good Luck!!

A 4" Duravane weighs in at 8.8 grains. So the difference between your field point and your broad head is slightly more than the weight of one vane. At 20 yards I doubt you'd notice much (if any) difference in impact point due to weight difference alone.

An easier and cheaper solution would be to shoot 90 grain field points.

It's not uncommon to see broad heads have a different impact point, but proper bow tuning usually takes care of this problem.

I know this will start an uproar, but if your only issue is broadheads having a differnt point of impact than your field tips, just adjust your sights and move on.

As long as the broadheads fly straight and true there is no reason to start messing with the bow. Just look at a broadhead next to a field tip and you can see why they may fly differently.

I agree with DonBo, if all else is fine, then make the sight adjustment.

For similar reasons, I rarely shoot field points. No reason to unless you have made changes. The only head that matters is the broadhead. That's what you want to be accustomed to shooting.

Also, some people shoot endlessly causing them to adjust as parts wear or stretch. Once your muscle memory is set so your form is consistent, shoot enought to maintain that. If I shoot three arrows and they're all bulls, I stop. If the shots are not to my satisfaction then I'll shoot another round until the placement is to my liking.

Build your confidence and keep it. Don't shoot til your tired and off the mark.

Thank you all for your input. I have decided to make the switch to 100 grain, 4 blade Muzzy MX-4s. Hopefully these will shoot a little more in line with my field points, however I realize that with 4 blades to catch wind, I will probably have to make a small adjustment before my bear hunt.

Thanks Again!

Here is a link that was very helpful to me for getting my fieldtips to group with my broadheads. I was a non believer until I followed the steps in this tuning guide. ***Make sure you read the portion of the article which explains what to do if your broadheads are grouping High, low, left, or right of your fieldtip group.

http://www.mnarchery.org/EastonBowTuningGuide.pdf

Here is a link to a youtube video that covers the topic of broadhead tuning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBHE2SXGoXg

Sausage

I agree with DonBo. Adjust your sight to the broadhead and if it's consistant....well, there ya go. There is way to much hype about "broadheads with fieldpoint accuracy". If you have to move a pin, then move it. I just want my broadheads to go where I aim them consistantly and be strong and sharp enough to to hold up if I hit a rib or, God forbid, even the shoulder plate.

Thank you all for your input. I have decided to make the switch to 100 grain, 4 blade Muzzy MX-4s. Hopefully these will shoot a little more in line with my field points, however I realize that with 4 blades to catch wind, I will probably have to make a small adjustment before my bear hunt.

Thanks Again!

You might want to try the Muzzy 3 blade heads, from what I hear they are a little easier to tune then the 4 blade heads.

My experience has been that it is near impossible to get a broadhead to hit the exact same point as a field tip. Just sight in the broadheads and practice with the broadheads. Way too many people hunt without practicing with the broadhead they intend to use. My advice would be to keep the broadheads you got and just sight them in and hunt. I have not shot field points in 10 years. i use the broadheads year round. this way i do not have to re sight in all the time.

Also any little change you make to your bow or arrows will make a difference. Even just putting a different peep site in can effect where your arrow hits. The switch to blazers also could effect this.

Bottom line is just site in