• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frustrated

snagger

Just got back from an early morning outing on a small local/private lake near Hudson, WI. Started fishing a small buzz bait along the lilly pads with no success. Switched to a Senko and nothing hit that. I switched to a jig and craw and worked the slightly deeper water out from the pads. I immediately caught a 16 inch and a 19 inch. Then nothing. I fished for another 2 hours and it was slow (a few 14 inch fish). This lake has really been frustrating me. I know there are a lot of bass in there. Lots of small fish but i have caught a 20 and 22 inch. So i know they're there. I've had outings in the spring and fall where i catch tons of fish, but in the mid-summer i struggle. The lake is shallow (about 15 feet max) and there is no defined weed edge to fish. So I usually start shallow in the downed trees and if i don't get bit i fish the deeper open water. Anybody have any suggestions for a lake like this?

As soon as you said "the lake is shallow," I was going to say fish deeper in the summer, but you beat me to it.

I would suggest fishing the lake in the afternoon/late evening. maybe they become active later? I have done a ton of bass fishing this year and have notice the majority of our fish, especially bigger fish have come between 12:00pm and 6:00pm.

Without more info on this lake I would go with the obvious. In the mornings work the east side of the lake in the shadows of the trees and in the PM work the West side of the lake. If the lake is that shallow the Bass will need to get out of the sun. As always look for the deepest water near the shadowed areas and start there. Untill the sun gets lower in the sky you may need to fish this lake at night. The full moon isn't to far away.