• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"cash for clunkers" program

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However there is another industry that is going to CLEAN UP!

The insurance industry. Now you have people who will have FULL coverage along with a "higher" value car to insure instead of a junker with just liability. I wonder who's in bed with who??

And right now, with MANY people keeping their clunkers cause they can't afford to buy new (the past two three years?) the repair shops are cleaning up with all the old cars.

If the repair shops are smart, they are planning for a down turn in the future.... but don't count on it. Like the realtors of a few years ago, I bet squirrels are not stock piling their nuts wink

Yesterday I traded (cash for clunker deal) my 94 explore. I bought a 1010 Mecury Milan. Now before you go an say I'm turning into and old woosey, I still have an F-150 Pickup. Todays paper indicates they may suspend the program as of today.

Lots of unknowns. Here's an unadvertised catch. The dealer made me sign a document that states if they don't get the $4,500 form the goverment, they will take the car back and charge me for it's use. The also could sell it as used and charge me for their loss. Oh, yes, in the main time they will have destroyed my explorer.

I watched the video above and it puzzles me that a vehicle, in this case a Jeep that appears to be in pretty good condition, is destroyed with not a second thought.

I agree that there could have been more or different stipulations than just fuel economy.

Yesterday I traded (cash for clunker deal) my 94 explore. I bought a 1010 Mecury Milan. Now before you go an say I'm turning into and old woosey, I still have an F-150 Pickup. Todays paper indicates they may suspend the program as of today.

Lots of unknowns. Here's an unadvertised catch. The dealer made me sign a document that states if they don't get the $4,500 form the goverment, they will take the car back and charge me for it's use. The also could sell it as used and charge me for their loss. Oh, yes, in the main time they will have destroyed my explorer.

hmmm....lets hope it goes through then for your sake! Did they tell you what they would charge for it's use? If not, $0.40/mile for thousands of miles (if they don't get the rebate for any extended period of time) could add up to a lot of bones. Add to that selling it as used and charging you for that? And destroying your car you turned in......could be a costly venture.....but it sounds like there is still money at this point.

Talking about adding more money to the pot? mad

They wouldn't be able to sell the car as used as it hasn't changed title. As I understand it the dealership still owns the vehicle. Unless you agree to those conditions previously in writing - the charge for miles and such they can't hold you to that. Just another sales job by the dealer to sell you that car.

Just signed the paperwork on the wifes new car.

It does say that if the Govt doesn't allow for the $4500 you, the buyer, has to pay the dealership or turn in your car with penalties. I say give me back my car, too late, they have to destroy it first then submit the paperwork to the govt.

Speaking of Jeeps, traded a 1999 Grand Cherokee without a spot of rust. What a shame, but when we tried to trade it in earlier the dealerships would only give us $2500 & $4000. So it worked out.

at my dealership we are in full panic mode trying to get people signed up before everything is over and this is nuts!! I and everyone I work with will be glad when all of this is over... ahhh a nice soothing cocktail after work tonight or two?

Just another sales job by the dealer to sell you that car.

Gov't is stating that this is a program to get lower emission vehicles on the road. I think that is only one motivation behind this. The more important ones are getting GM and Chrylser some cash and of course if more cars are sold- the economy improves.

at my dealership we are in full panic mode trying to get people signed up before everything is over and this is nuts!! I and everyone I work with will be glad when all of this is over... ahhh a nice soothing cocktail after work tonight or two?
Its crazy over there for ya Huh! I hope for the best for you crappieking as you seem to be on the front lines of this. Give us some war stories when things simmer down to lighten things.

Originally Posted By: TR21
Just another sales job by the dealer to sell you that car.

Gov't is stating that this is a program to get lower emission vehicles on the road. I think that is only one motivation behind this. The more important ones are getting GM and Chrysler some cash and of course if more cars are sold- the economy improves.

Not only GM and Chrysler but the dealerships also.

Just think about it all these people that have been sitting twiddling there thumbs on the show room not knowing whats going to happen the next day have gotten a reprieve. How long and what the true benefits are to be seen. It is help for a struggling sector in our economy an I am happy we are in the position to help. It is better than just standing by watching the fish flounder in the sand

I dont mean to beliddle anyone in the industry by using the fraze Twiddling their thumbs as I was trying to paint an image of how slow things are for those in the line of sales.

i.e......bailout? I could think of some others that we could set up a program like this for....

I am all for lower emissions....but at what price?

Yep, but instead of saying this is a program to help GM and Chrysler pay the Govt its bailout loans back faster, they came up with the alterior motive of this being for the environment. That, and sticking money back into the government by means of a masked economic stimulus by way of selling more cars, and the taxes and all other money made by selling cars. I seen right through it.

I heard it was done as of today, I also heard that there is still enough there to go through the weekend, and I also have heard they are trying to dump another 2 billion into the program?!
The house has passed the bill for another $2 billion. The senate probably wont vote on it till late next weak. The money is already there, they are going to take it out of the stimulus bill that already is in effect so we are not adding just using what is already there.

Yes, those dogs for trying to help the economy and also maybe save on the consumption of gasoline.

Heck, why not make it $5k for first car, and $7k for the second?... If a little is good, a lot is great, isn't it?

Wherever the $$ is coming from, "they" have plenty...

hmmphhh... wink

Better make that a 2010 Milan, I don't think they were making cars in 1010.

Here are a couple line items from the document they sprung on me just before handing over the keys.

4. you understand that the dealership must permanently destroy the engine in your trad-in prior to seeking reimbursment from the CARS program.

7. The risk of the federal government not paying the incentive is yours - not the dealerships.

8. If for any reason, the dealership is unable to obtain reimbursement you agree to immediately:

a. pay the dealership the incentive amount in cash, or

b. Return the new vehicle. The dealership will refund payments less a charge for your use of the new vehicle.

You understand your vehicle will be destroyed and cannot be returned to you.

Needless to say we had quite a go-around with this. I signed it for two reasons. First I told them it was so poorly written and violates the rule of law and it would never stand up in court. And I fully expected the goverment to refund the program.

(They will call it "very successful" and add $$ to it). Of course, I could stand on the corner and give out hundred dollar bills and I bet it would be sucessful also.