• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"cash for clunkers" program

Anyone taking advantage of this program?? I'm wanting (needing) a new truck. I have an old plow truck that I'd like to throw into the program and put it twards a new vehicle, but I don't meet the requirements of being "continually registered and insured for a minimum of 1 year prior to trade-in". Bummer, but what do you do??

Just curious if anyone out there is going to give up their old gas guzzler for a new car. it's a pretty good deal if you are in the right position.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like you need to get at least 2MPG better with the new Full size truck in order to get the full $4,500.

Unfortunately non of our clunkers get less than 18MPG. In fact My 97 Saturn SL-2 with over 150k hard miles still gets at least 34MPG doing 70 down the interstate in the summer!

I was in dealership and there was a matching $4500 cash allowance on some vehicles. That's $9000 off a new car when you add the cash for clunker deal. If I wasn't unemployed I would consider buying a new car. Yea, that would mean I would trade my 93 dakota in.

One idea my neighbor brought up is that they should have stipulated that this program is to purchase american made cars only. That would have helped out our economy and the dealerships we all own. It makes sense to me.

I wish it would have been only domestic automakers and then there would have been some serious stimulus for us but if you would trade a clunker for the $4500 and buy a new truck with $4000 rebates and then add the supplier discount, you would go over $10000 off in some circumstances!!!

they should have stipulated that this program is to purchase american made cars only. That would have helped out our economy and the dealerships we all own. It makes sense to me.

So there aren't any "Americans" that own, operate, or are employed at import dealers? There are plenty of Import companies manufacturing vehicles in the states, would these qualify under your plan? Your "American" car can still be manufactured in another country and if it is manufactured in the states the parts come from all over the world.

No matter what you buy your money is going to end up all over the world.

I think Bucketmouth was referring to the way the American taxpayer now owns portions of GM and Chrysler because of the money lent to keep them in business. It would have been great to see this limited to just those two companies to help speed up the payback to the taxpayers.

Makes sense in a way but then what happens to Ford and other manufactures that are in the U.S. when everyone heads to buy a GM or Chrysler. Their sales would plummet.

Hopefully there will be better scrutiny on loans then there was for the housing market. Sounds like there is.

I wonder what this will do to the used car/truck market. They did this in Europe and used car values plummeted.

I wish it would have been only domestic automakers and then there would have been some serious stimulus

I agree on this. All it's doing is increasing sales on the overpriced Prius. I rather buy a Cobalt at list price of $ 10k less.

But as we know there's not many US automakers that are not involved with foreign companies. Remember Chrysler is FIAT also.

I rather buy a Cobalt at list price of $ 10k less.

IMO One of the top five worst cars produced today. You'll save a lot of money up front but it will suck your wallet dry keeping up with the repairs that start at about the 40k mark.

Originally Posted By: Valv
I rather buy a Cobalt at list price of $ 10k less.

IMO One of the top five worst cars produced today. You'll save a lot of money up front but it will suck your wallet dry keeping up with the repairs that start at about the 40k mark.

I'll take my chances, save $10k, and help Detroit and Turin, not Tokyo

Helping a company succeed that produces inadequate product does nothing to solve the problem. Build an affordable car that doesn't need $1,000 in repairs every 40k miles and change peoples opinion of your product. It just amazes me how people can shell out money hand over fist keeping there car on the road only to buy another from the same manufacturer and end up shelling out money hand over fist?

If you want to buy domestic get a Ford. All GM is doing is leading there faithful lemmings over the cliff!

just saw on tv something about "super duty" trucks not being part of the program. that's what I'm in the market for, so am I out of luck?? even if I can't put my plow truck into the program, I still have my '94 half ton ford that i'd part with!!

If you want to buy domestic get a Ford. All GM is doing is leading there faithful lemmings over the cliff!

Whoever you are, you should stop posting under airjers name! He would never give Fords a plug wink

just saw on tv something about "super duty" trucks not being part of the program. that's what I'm in the market for, so am I out of luck?? even if I can't put my plow truck into the program, I still have my '94 half ton ford that i'd part with!!
Wow! that is something. I wonder why and I wonder if they are exempting the other truck manufacturers.

I was thinking last night with the resale of a newer used trucks being high that market would be destroyed by this.

Why would someone buy a 2004 for $18,000 when for a few thousand more with a few less options you can get a new one. And have a better chance of it not breaking down.

Maybe not so much as it is a relatively short time period for the program.

crappieking...I'd like to talk to you, but apparently I can't put my e-mail address here for you to see. where can I find you?

Ryan, you can post a question right here. If the info is shared here everyone who is interested can possibly benefit. If the info is only shared between you and crappie only you benefit. The more info that gets out on this program the better!

From the CARS HSOforum (CARS.gov)

A work truck, which is called a category 3 truck under the CARS Act, is subject to special rules. Work trucks are not rated for fuel economy by the EPA. Thus, the eligibility of work trucks for the program does not depend on combined fuel economy. Instead, work trucks may only be traded in under the program if they were manufactured not later than model year 2001 and not earlier than 25 years before the date of the trade in. In addition, work trucks may only be traded in for the purchase of a category 2 truck or another category 3 truck that is of similar size or smaller than the traded-in vehicle. Finally, the Act provides only for a $3,500 credit for trading in a work truck.

The CARS Act limits the amount of funds that can be used to provide credits for purchases or leases of work trucks. Only 7.5 percent of the funds appropriated for the program may be used for credits for work trucks. Once that limit is reached, NHTSA will stop making payments for these transactions. NHTSA will keep the public informed as to the funds that remain available for these credits.