• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marine Batteries

mlvaj

Question

I'm in search of new batteries for my boat. Just wondering what brand is a good brand to go after. I will be getting a starting and a deep cycle battery. I was thinking of spending somewhere between $70 to $150 each if possible. Any suggestions?

16 answers to this question

I have had good luck with batteries made by Johnson Controls. They make the Kirkland batteries at Costco,used to make marine batteries at Walmart. I have 11 years on my two trolling motor batteries and still in use,not quite full carge anymore.Got 10 years on the starting battery...

My boat came with Optima blue tops. Every bit as advertised as the best in the business in my opinion.

I just purchased one this summer and I have been very happy. A little bit on the spendy side but I have been well satisfied with it.

AGM batteries will outpreform regular wet cell battries every time. Due in part to the manufacturing process.

I have interstates in the new boat and the few times I have recharged them they seemed great.

Old boat I put advanced angler AGM batteries in there and they were still holding a charge for the day after 4 years.

So when the interstates go bad I will replace them with AGM batteries.

Another vote for Interstate.

I believe the water should be just to the bottom of the holes or to the bottom of the caps....don't fill to the top of the holes. Some have a level indicator on the side if they have a somewhat clear case or white where you can see the level.

Use distilled water too.