Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mlvaj

Marine Batteries

17 posts in this topic

I'm in search of new batteries for my boat. Just wondering what brand is a good brand to go after. I will be getting a starting and a deep cycle battery. I was thinking of spending somewhere between $70 to $150 each if possible. Any suggestions?

I have had good luck with batteries made by Johnson Controls. They make the Kirkland batteries at Costco,used to make marine batteries at Walmart. I have 11 years on my two trolling motor batteries and still in use,not quite full carge anymore.Got 10 years on the starting battery...

I have had great luck with Interstate Batteries. Deep Cycle and starting, both have given me many years with no issues.

Mike

I have had good luck with my Interstate Deep Cycle batteries too. I am not the one to ask for a starting battery, though I will probably try Interstate for that too next time.

Picked up a set of 27's at Batteries Plus. No problems and hold charge very well.

If you can afford them go with the larger 31 batteries as they will last longer.

I put a new set of deep cycles in my boat this spring, Interstates. Like them a lot so far ....

My boat came with Optima blue tops. Every bit as advertised as the best in the business in my opinion.

BAtteries plus guy here... Interstates are used by many of my buddies but I have had very good success with Batteries plus.

My boat came with Optima blue tops. Every bit as advertised as the best in the business in my opinion.

I just purchased one this summer and I have been very happy. A little bit on the spendy side but I have been well satisfied with it.

AGM batteries will outpreform regular wet cell battries every time. Due in part to the manufacturing process.

I have interstates in the new boat and the few times I have recharged them they seemed great.

Old boat I put advanced angler AGM batteries in there and they were still holding a charge for the day after 4 years.

So when the interstates go bad I will replace them with AGM batteries.

how do you know if you have the correct water level in your batteries? i took the tops of the battery off and i could see there was some water in there but i couldnt tell how to gauge how full it should be.

Another vote for Interstate.

I believe the water should be just to the bottom of the holes or to the bottom of the caps....don't fill to the top of the holes. Some have a level indicator on the side if they have a somewhat clear case or white where you can see the level.

Use distilled water too.

Just replaced my Interstate starting battery this year. Bought new with my boat in 1999. It is still working fine, just didn't want to push my luck any longer.