Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jsc1987

Fish house trailer frame

10 posts in this topic

I plan on building a fish house this fall and was wondering if can build it out of 2"x2" tublar steel on the whole frame, or do I, can I use something different? Thanks!!

i use 2x3 by 1/8 and 2x3 by 1/4

I made an 8x10 out of 2x2 11 gauge and wish I would have gone larger,there is alot of flex in the 2x2 especially where the A frame tounge meets the house.

I used the 2 by 3 1/2 on the box and 2by 2 for center bracing and 3by 3 quarter in thick for the toung. I am glad I went heavy dudy after seeing other guys setups. I guess it all depends on how big of house you want or how much you pull it or weather or not its loaded down when being pulled when considering how thick of steel to go with.

I want to go with 7x16 and I want to put my 4-wheeler in there too. I will pull it around quite a bit.

2x2 will definitly be too light for what you want. I've said this a thousand times on here, but DO NOT skimp on your frame. You will regret it.

I've made that mistake more that twice (shame on me!) What I spent fixing the stuff I screwed up, on top of what I paid for materials initially, would have easily bought me a quality frame from an experienced welder. Find a local welder and he'll let you know what is neccessary. I guarentee if he lives in Minnesota, and welds for a living, that he's built a few fish house frames. Good luck and let me know if you need the number to a good welding shop.

Build it with good heavy 3X4 tube around outside and use 2X3 for cross members and center supports. That way the center supports don't set on ice and freeze. The heavy 3x4 tube will hold up to any thing you throw at it and not bend.

Build it with good heavy 3X4 tube around outside and use 2X3 for cross members and center supports. That way the center supports don't set on ice and freeze. The heavy 3x4 tube will hold up to any thing you throw at it and not bend.

Holly s**t, I would hate see how much that would weigh when it was done!

He is building a fish house frame, not a car hauler.

I would go with 2" X 4" around outside, and 2" X 3" cross members. All being 1/8" thick. The tongue I would go with 3" X 3" 1/4" thick, with the same size tube half way back for the tongue cross member.

if you need any help let me know i worked at chart as a welder and live right in town and have baughten plans for frame and wheel system on paper i gan copy for ya!

EK