• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good or bad?

Driftless

I decided to include maps with all of my new posts on my blog.

Have had three guides complain that i am "Kissing and Telling" *TODAY*

Exactly what does that mean to an angler that has fished the

streams in the area for 47 years? Who am I kissing? I have

earned the information I put out.

What do you think about sharing information on a regional blog?

How many people actually read blogs?

I wouldn't do it...........even if 6 people read your blog (i'm sure it's more than that as I have read it and it's good), all it takes is for those 6 people to tell 6 people and those 6 people to tell another 6......you get the idea.

I have to agree with the others, I have heard/read of ppl just telling the lake name and posting pics of their catch showing the shoreline in the background, only to return later to an empty honeyhole. So sad but some "meat hunters only" have never heard of CPR or don't know that it stands for "Catch, Picture, Release". Unless you know that it is a common knowledge spot, I'd keep it under your hat.

willie posted this....

Spinner, I think that's an alright approach. It's well known that the whole SW part of the state is fishable and it only takes someone looking at a map and driving to one of those streams to unintentionally fish in someone's favorite fishing hole. If somebody wants to debate you on this, they should be willing to take that fight to Rand McNally and DeLorme as well.

I agree with willie

Len,

I think you are THE best trout angler I have encountered anywhere. You pull rabits out of hats.

This I disagree with! I am tempted to drive to your mapped locations. I haven't earned the right to those fish, I'm just vulture following a scent. (I would let them go though. I'm not a big fish hunter, don't have the patience.) If I stumble on them fine, that's earning it in a way.

I live on the NW side of the cities and have seen two panfish lakes (one truely a trophy factory, with more big bluegills and crappies than all metroe lakes combined) ruined because their names where put out on the i.net. These are/where lakes with A lot of big pan fish. Your streames DON'T HAVE A LOT of big trout. If You make me tempted to by a Wisc. lic. and drive three hours, think of ALL the people closer that WILL show up.

I think you will see an increase in presure at these spots.

PS I like your writing too.

Well the litte ones laugh enough the way it is. I don't have the patience to fish for huge trout. Or any huge fish for that matter. Put ten of me down there and one of us dumb squirrles is going to get the nut. Odds are it's not me, huge trout is not why I trout fish. IF I'm lucky enough to land him I will let him go. the other nine? I don't think Hay or WW has too many huge trout. At least not the quality your area has. Besides I'm the one with the three wieght. A.D.D. probably. My point is the pressure and the numbers. It's odds and all it takes is a couple people keeping to hurt them. I think a crawler hooked weedlees and 10# flourocarbon in the hard to reach places could have a shot. I have a buddy who does that and does pretty good every where he goes 'till muskie season then the bait fish are safe. But, It's not my home water. I have seen places turned into zoos and changed for the worse, more than one spot. Maybe it's too far for the masses, maybe. People listen to what you say and report. I'm going for numbers tomorrow, or I guess later today.

Three wieght or bust. On flies I tie myself. That in itself is enough to laugh about. Turns my crank though. Love reading your stories.

Keep those spots tight to your vest Len. If you look at a bell curve of the population of trout, majority are in the 6-12" size. Then when you get from 15-18 you are only talking less than 10/mile. When you are talking 20"+ trout you are talking less than 1/mile average and even then, most streams won't have them. You have to know where they are. Just because you show up on a blue ribbon trout stream at 4am, that does not entitle you to a big fish.

You are one of the rare individuals that knows where big trout live. Keep it to your vest. As a guide, I doubt your clients former clients would appreciate it. As for new clients, why hire you when they can read your blog and go fish where you say the big fish are?

Chances are that giant trout on Marshal Creek will be gone next time you fish there. How will that make you feel? Do you honestly scout and identify 20" trout often? I know you have been working on that 30" trout for how long now? At least six outings. You have yet to get her....

Yeah, I have to agree with the others on here. It's sad to think about it, but many web lurkers do not have the same good intentions as you do. It's fine if you want to share a few honeyholes with a select few. But it's best to keep it off main internet sites.

I used to fish Millacs, A lot. I got really sick of bumper boats.

So,

I'd throw a marker 100 yds from where I was fishing.

Flys on...

So yesterday I head down to one Lens of the marked "honey holes".

Ya I caught trout. HUGE trout!

P7060002.jpg

P6110007.jpg

P6110016.jpg

P6110014.jpg

Somethings wrong though...

They just don't look the same!

You sure about those maps?

I agree with most of the other people here. remove the maps from your blog

It may feel like you are only talking to the people who frequent this board, but that is definitely not the case. I know of a couple people who do nothing but watch these boards for information on where there are a lot of fish or nice fish, and then target those areas. These are the type of people who catch and keep the biggest fish that they can (and I don't think they worry about size limits like 1 trout over 16 inches). I've personally seen what has happened to one of these streams after they and other people they talked to were done with it. If you want to see a stream/river/lake ruined the best way to do it is post information about it on the internet.

decided to put stinker outing maps up too.

The good with the bad.

You can take a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

Just because i had good or bad luck at a certain location doesn't mean you will have the same.

if ya need to pinpoint water, i wouldn't go beyond the access point....... once you start hot-spotting holes, it's gone too far..... it's not just for your sake, as there are probably others who've put the time in and found out for themselves where some of these fish live.....

granted, streams change from year to year, but many of the same holes are there time after time...... and while more and more people are c&ring, all it takes is a couple folks and a treasured spot to recreate goes back to average water.......

within 60 miles of me there are.....

25 trout fishing guides minimum....

you figure they take out maybe 30 clients each a year...

30 times 25 equals...750 new people to the area...

those people tell another 5 people each where they went.

750 times 5.....do the math.

There are NO secret streams.