• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bullheads got the Crud!!

SteveD

My bullheads are starting to drop like flies - I'm losing about a half dozen a day to the Grey Crud - some kind of fungus it looks like. It first shows up as a grey spot about the size of a quarter on their skin usually around the head or tail. They get very lethargic and don't have much pep at all. The fungus seems to spread along their whole body pretty quickly and within 24 hours they seem to die from it once it shows itself. I've been doing frequent water changes but it doesn't seem to help much.

I haven't bothered to try to fight the stuff. It is just as easy to just throw the dead ones out and catch a batch of fresh ones. I just threw out 6 and went out and caught a dozen. As long as they keep biting I'm still in business.

Anybody else fighting the Grey Crud?

BullheadCrud2.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve. I got the same thing going on. Most of the crud I've seen begins to appear on the tails and from then on it's about 24 hours or less before they are belly up. I wish I knew more about what causes it and how to prevent it. I think some bullheads have it and then spread it from native waters to your tank etc. Good luck combating the crud!

How long have you had them in your tank?

I would suggest using up all the "old" ones and drain and scrub the tank before adding any new ones. And if it continues perhaps try to find a new place to get your bullies. Sometimes fish from certain waters come with certain issues.

How long have you had them in your tank?

I would suggest using up all the "old" ones and drain and scrub the tank before adding any new ones. And if it continues perhaps try to find a new place to get your bullies. Sometimes fish from certain waters come with certain issues.

Rushing - I think you are right. I've gotten a mix of bullies from 2 locations and they are about 2 weeks old. I've only got about 15 left in the tank and I think I will use them up this weekend. I've got the dozen new ones in my quarantine tank right now. I'll empty the tank and scrub it good and start over with the ones in the quarantine tank. My new ones all came out of the same pond and I am pretty sure they didn't have any crud when I caught them. I'll start over fresh and see if that helps at all.

Watch them close... I found that you can protect the group longer and slow the spread if you pull any out that are showing signs and put them in the quarantine tank. Look for ones that are acting abnormal...(IE not doing what the rest of the group is) Pull them as well. You will see that some that you pull will continue to kick, don't reintroduce them to the tank, use them for bait. Believe it or not....I still have a few bullies left from my batch of June 4th..... They look to be in tough shape but still have a little spunk.

Its a little bit of work to sort through them, but it can be worth it if your checking on them every day.

API to the rescue! Here you go guys; I have fought the dreaded "white sweater", as Dark calls, it a few times over the years. This product you HAVE TO follow the directions to a tea for it to take affect. The program is a 7/8 day process, and while your following the schedule you will keep losing bullheads at the same rate for many days. I think the ones that have the "ick" and are not showing signs eventually stress and fade as the medication is doing its thing. The ju-Ju(just for you Rush) is some plant extract and will actually give your tank quite a natural antiseptic smell. Keep following the program and your tank will be treated. Good luck.

17110010.jpg

I just treated my tank with PIMAFIX and MELAFIX. The MELAFIX can be used in conjunction with the PRIMAFIX to get the fungus under control. I bought them at PETCO for about $23. It kind of foamed up and it does have an antiseptic aroma which beats the old bullhead smell. I had two dead ones this morning so we will see how it goes. I didn't drain the tank or clean it. Directions said to just add to the water and after 7 days do about a 1/4 water change. I found a number of reviews of the products and almost all claimed it worked miracles on their fish. I'll let you know how it goes. I've got about a dozen in the quarantine tank and I'll use the quarantine tank until the 7 day treatment is done. No use getting them sick until the tank is under control.

I just toss any bullies that are around for more than a week and get new ones. The area cats and kittens don't seem to mind this either.

You running an animal shelter too now Ed? laugh

I have a question for you guys....I have the same crud on my bullies but only on half of them. the half that has the crud are yellow bullheads from the south metro and the ones that don't have it are black bullheads that I caught in the north metro. Do you guys have yellow ones with it??? I have thrown the yellow cruds in the garden and kept the black ones. they were sharing the same tank for 2 weeks and not a single black one got it. any answers??

"Bacterial infections can occur in many North

Dakota fi sh species, but may be particularly common

in bullheads and catfi sh. In recent years, columnaris

and aeromonas bacteria have been attributed to

catfi sh and carp die-off s on the Red River. Th ese bacteria

are always present in the environment, and only

cause problems when fi sh become stressed, such as

after spawning or during periods of low water fl ows

and high water temperatures. If you catch a fi sh with

a bacterial infection on the skin, the fl esh of the fi sh

should be edible when cleaned, prepared and cooked

properly.

A fungal infection may appear as gray-white mats

on the fi sh’s skin. Th ese mats are generally fuzzy

looking, which helps to distinguish a fungal infection

from lesions caused by a bacterial infection. Fungal

infections can occur when a fi sh gets stressed or

injured, and can commonly be seen on individual fi sh

where their slime coat has been damaged or removed.

Th e fungus can progress to the point where it covers,

and eventually kills, the fi sh.

Since the mucous, or slime coat, is a fi sh’s fi rst

defense against fungal or bacterial infections, special

care should be taken not to damage the mucous layer

of any fi sh you plan to release. If you harvest a fi sh

with a fungal infection, the fl esh should be edible if

cleaned, prepared and cooked as usual." from a ND Outdoors article.

Maybe this is it

That sounds about right BGreen. In the last 48 hrs. I've lost a dozen bullheads to this stuff. Typically it's 1-2 go down and I can usually discover it early enough to separate from the rest of my stock. Anyone have a review on the 7-day tank conditioner that was recommended earlier (Pimafix)?

I'm on day four of the 7 day treatment. Sure makes the tank smell like an antiseptic tub. They are still sick and I lost 3 yesterday but it says to treat for 7 days so the verdict is still out.

I have some native fish and have found that a guy at the small pet store on White Bear Ave. just north of 36 really knows his stuff. His shop is in the north end of the strip mall that is on the west side of White Bear about a half mile north of 36. He's helped me work through some strange problems.

Maybe you need to toss what you have and then bleach the tank to kill off all the mess that's going on. If you do that you need to thoroughly rinse it out, and spend extra time with the gravel if you have any. I have well water available but I still try and temper it for a day or so and run the aerator to get the ox level up in the water. Sounds to me like a few of you may just be cross-contaminating your setups. If you don't know what is is it seems to me that you should toss the stock rather than risk putting it into a watershed.

Wow,

I haven't lost one yet this year to the crud.....haven't ever really thought about it much.

Must be the fact that my bullies eat every day (on my daughters chore list), are very happy, and my biofilter is working amazingly well.

No water changes for 4 weeks and only a couple of lost bullies and those were due to infected wounds from being hooked several times.