Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thatoneguy

Best time of day for big pike?

11 posts in this topic

Anyone have particular success with pike - especially the big ones - at a particular time of day? Any different if you're trolling as opposed to casting?

my biggest couple of pike all came late morning to midday.. All while casting.

I haven't caught enough real big'uns for any statistically significant results though.

My biggest have also come midmorning/midday. Also while casting.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, most of my pike fishing occurs durring midday hours, and is almost always casting.

Not saying big fish cant be had later the day or at night. I just don't fish for them then. I move on and target other things.

My PB was an 1.5 hours after sunset on a moonrise. Most of the larger pike I catch are in the fall and with little pattern of time (morning, afternoon, evening, etc).

early morning to mid-day. I've had better luck real early morning low light than last light of the day...

most of the time I catch them mid-day. Which is nice if the walleyes or bass aren't eating!

My biggest pike was late morning, about 11. There doesn't seem to be a big correlation between time of day and size of fish. Though, I've never caught big pike at night.

Well, we did a lot more walleye fishing than pike on our trip, but we did pick up some nice gators - all trolling, most in mid- to late morning.

The biggest was 37", and I had one well 0ver 40" clamped onto a walleye I hooked, but it let go once I got it near the boat before we could net it.

The best producer was a silver Mepps Little Wolf. Yellow & red 5 of diamonds also did well. Thanks for the tips, and I'ma make sure I do more pike fishing next time I venture north!

On our annual Lac Seul trip with my sons, we ALWAYScatch our biggest pike at sunset.