• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Adding an automatic bilge pump?

sparkyaber

I have a ranger reata, which only has the standard switch on bilge pump, and would like to add a second auto bilge, for safety and back up.

What would I do with the plumbing on this?

Do I tap into the existing exhaust port for bilge water? Use check valves? Drill a hole in the side of my boat to add one more water outlet?

thanks

I'd do the same... another water outlet, otherwise you'll have to find some sort of check valve, which I've never seen for that size hose, and the potential for it to fail, not allowing you to pump water out, or pumping water from one bilge pump right back into the other.

marine_man

When I ordered my Reata I ordered an auto bilge pump with it. The boat came from the factory with 2 pumps, 2 outlets, and a 3-position switch on the dash (pump 1, off, pump 2). And of course the float switch on the auto pump.

As marine_man said, you don't want the plumbing connected or your run the risk of pumping the water right back into the boat through the other pump.

Be sure to also have some sort of charging system when docked (solar or corded), if pump runs continuously due to rain or splashing, it will drain battery and eventually loose the purpose.

Be sure to also have some sort of charging system when docked (solar or corded), if pump runs continuously due to rain or splashing, it will drain battery and eventually loose the purpose.

good call, thanks valv.

Rather than messing with all the plumbing and drilling a hole through the side of your boat, wouldn't you be better off upgrading your current pump? I think it would be an easier job to add a more powerful pump with the automatic float feature. You might have to also change the stitch to a 3-way and wire it directly to the battery so it doesn't shut off. (You would also need to add the wiring and switch with the additional pump anyway)

Just my 2cents here -

Having gone thru several "bilge pump switches" of the

rolling-ball type, I finally got smart and got a 'real'

switch which uses ultra-sonic detection for the water

level. Maybe this is something you already have, or

maybe it isn't. All I can say is I will never go back

to the rolling-ball type switch. 10 years - and it

still works great. No rolling-ball type will do that.

Again - just my 2-cents.

FWIW, my lift cable snapped and dropped my 16' boat into the drink a few months ago. I had the plug out, of course, and it filled up good smile

I just had the manual pump, and not a super huge capacity, I think 500 gph. Well, I can tell you this, if a guy ever gets swamped or rain falls HEAVY with a little bit of wind, there is no way a 500 gph will help you much - or a 750 gph on a bigger boat. It took forever to pump that thing out.

Got me to thinking, and I added another auto pump to that boat, but I did it in a way that I can easily take it out and use it on our bigger boat for trips on bigger water, etc, as a "second" pump. Clips to battery leads, and a long discharge hose that I just tie wrap back into the splash well.

It might not look as nice in a "nice" boat, but I would recommend two pumps if you think you would ever "need" to use pump in emergency. Of course we all never "think we will need them" but I have learned from the past that it is better to go loaded for bear and not need it (i.e. floor jack in truck at all times in case of blowout) than need it and not have it.

Good luck.

My 500gph bilge took 40 minutes to pump out all of the water that fell on Saturday night on Vermilion. I'm definitely going to rig up a new system. Here is my thought:

Replace the current pump with an automatic bilge (maybe the ultra-sonic detection type) that can push the max volume through the current pipe through my hull. Maybe I can get a 750gph or 1000gph, I'll have to measure the pipe.

Second, I'll buy a high volume bilge pump that is powered by the trolling motor battery and operated with an on/off switch. It'll require a bigger output hose but I'll just use something flexible and keep it tucked in the stern. When required, it'll have easy access and I'll just throw the hose over the transom and let it pump. This way I don't have to drill another hole in the boat.

Thoughts?

That's a good point. If I were ever scrambling to get the second pump going (big wave over the gunnel), I may not be able to leave the helm in order to hang a hose out the back...and in big waters in may not hold.

I'm really liking the idea of my second pump attached to the trolling battery. Hooking to the battery in the bow would ensure that one battery was dry even if the starting battery was submerged in water.

i'm just suprised that Ranger only offers the two pump system as an option, you'd think for that kind of money it would come factory with two pumps. i'd install a second pump, and don't screw around mount it like a pro.