Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fat Rap guy

Fecal transplant?

21 posts in this topic

This has to be the weirdest medical procedure I've ever heard of. Just think of having your turds checked out to see if you're a match for a friend. The doctor sticks your turd in them and they get better.

Quote:
Some Oklahoma patients are opting for an admittedly gross procedure to kill superbugs living in their colons.

Integris Baptist Medical Center doctors recently gave fecal transplants to three patients suffering from Clostridium difficile, also called C-diff.

It is the most common cause of infectious diarrhea in hospitals and nursing homes, and leads to several thousand deaths annually, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The transplant involves taking human waste from a healthy person and injecting it via colonoscopy in a person with C-diff, said Dr. Mark Mellow, medical director of the Integris Digestive Health Center.

The aim is for the good bacteria to eradicate the bad bacteria, C-diff.

While the procedure is new to most U.S. hospitals, Australian doctors report success rates nearing 90 percent of patients, Mellow said.

Many people with C-diff are elderly and got sick after receiving antibiotics for other infections. Antibiotics can wipe out the good bacteria that keep bad bacteria in check.

This is generally referred to as "bacteriotherapy" to stray away a bit from the yuck factor. But this is a last resort for people who have tried everything else, so they are desperate for something even if it sounds a bit gross.

Finding the donor isn't like matching up a liver or a kidney. You just have to find somebody who doesn't have any sort of nasty bugs or parasites and you're good to go.

I would like to know how they talked the first person into trying this. "You are gonna do what???!!!!!"

OMG that is just plain disturbing sick

Can you imagine the medical team doing this procedure at 10:30 am. They finish up and say, "Ok where are we going to lunch today?"

But I guess if it works, it works.

Can you imagine the medical team doing this procedure at 10:30 am. They finish up and say, "Ok where are we going to lunch today?"

But I guess if it works, it works.

Eeeeewwwwww!!! Not sure I would have much of an appetite after that!!!!

A story like this begs the quetion....at what point in a young medical student's education does he/she make the decision, "I'm going to be a proctologist!"

I seen this topic and thought, really? So I went and looked it up. From what I can see it is for real!!! Egad, we have evolved to transplanting p o o p, what next????

There was a story on the news about this several months ago. How do they decide who the donor is going to be? Does the doctor or a nurse provide the necessary medicine? Do they need to treat it as a perscription? So many questions to a potentially life saving/little known procedure.

The patient picks the donor. Usually a spouse or family member.

You just get the stuff and mix it up with some saline and either put it into the stomach through a tube, or more likely, up the other end.

I'd probably take the dung douche before a bullet in the head but man that is one discusting procedure.

How would you ask your relative for something like that??

I'm always telling them 'don't give me any sh-t'.... Would they really believe me if I told them I wanted it??

And I've smelled my spouses when he's come out of the bathroom.

Don't think I'd want it.... sickeekeekeeksick

Quote:
Many people with C-diff are elderly and got sick after receiving antibiotics for other infections. Antibiotics can wipe out the good bacteria that keep bad bacteria in check.

i think eating yogurt or taking a probiotic would be less invasive of a method then swapping doo doo shocked ...something my doctor recommended to me as well...

Quote:
Probiotics may be a good thing to take together with antibiotics. When you take antibiotics to treat, say, a urinary tract infection, these drugs can wipe out not only the harmful bacteria in your body but also the good bacteria. If you've ever taken antibiotics, you may have noticed that these drugs can do a number on your digestive system—causing diarrhea, or even yeast infections. Taking probiotics during the course of an antibiotics treatment and for a while afterward may keep enough good bacteria around to keep those problems from developing.

Yogurt. The easiest way to take probiotics is to eat a lot of yogurt. When buying yogurt, be sure the label includes the words "live cultures" or "active cultures." This means there are live bacteria inside—the good kind. In addition, look for the words "National Yogurt Association," a seal that requires products to contain at least 10 million bacteria cells per cup. This may sound like a lot, but in bacteria-speak it's barely enough to offer any health benefit—although the more yogurt you eat, the more protection it offers.

Supplements. For a real dose of high culture, some people go for a probiotic supplement, which you can find in a health-food store. Two of the most popular types, or strains, are Lactobacillus acidophilus and Lactobacillus bifidus. Another strain, Lactobacillus rhamnosus (also called Lactobacillus GG), has been used in a number of recent studies. Some brands mix together a variety of different strains of "good" bacteria.

I'd probably take the dung douche before a bullet in the head but man that is one disgusting procedure.
A severe case of Clostridium difficile your gonna want that slug to the head luckily there is a treatment.

I definitely would do the yogurt first and leave the transplant for last resort.

I had a family member go through that and it was not pleasant for that person or anybody around. Lets just say outdoor lues are not a bad idea.

In the article I read on it a few months ago said it is done through an NG tube. (a tube that goes into your nose and down into your stomach)

The transplant is a last resort and after running to the bathroom 20 times a day for a year or two, the prospect of a p oo p transplant doesn't sound that bad.

Probiotics like yogurt and whatnot don't work. There are a LOT of different microbes in your intestine and you can't replenish them with the few different kinds that are used in yogurt.