• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smallmouth Transitional Patterns

Craigums

I understand a book could probably be written on this topic but its one that is still a mystery to me. At this point my smallmouth knowledge consists of "smallmouth bass live near rocks". Im interested in getting a dumbed down version of smallmouth movements throughout the seasons including depths to help me better locate these bronze beauties. Please Discuss.

Thanks,

Craig

I am a big believer in the theory that smallies have a home range. This is more often than not a very large expansive flat with scattered gravel and rocks mixed on top. They spawn, feed, and travel in relation to this area and for the most part never leave. Sometimes they will go deep and suspend off the structure only to travel back up eventually. I'm sure I will get some people on the other side of the coin, and they would have a point as well. Obviously smallies in the river and some larger lakes don't have these home ranges, but I feel that in a lot of lakes in Minnesota they do, and catching them can be a lot easier if you understand the things that are needed to make these areas... my 2 cents smile