• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need Help with Transom Replace...

fishcanoe

I'm replacing a rotted out transom in a 14' aluminium Northwoods boat. I've removed as many screws and rivets as I can get to. The wood transom still does not lift out. I've had to remove and bend some side panels to get to the transom loops nuts (so I can remove these U-Bolts). These are a real pain because there is not much room to move the ratchet. I think I'm going to cut the handle off one of my ratchets to make it a shorty. There are also some screws that will be difficult to reach as well. I was wondering about the drain holes that go from a splash guard on the inside of the transom - to me it looks like I'll have to cut these out as well. Am I on the right track here? This project has become more of a pain than I thought it would be. I was wondering if I'd even be able to lift the wood pieces out since they are wet, rotten, and expanded. I've started to chip what I can out, but would like to get the corner pieces to use as a template. Any advice would be appreciated...

You have to remover every, screw, rivet, bolt, and whatever is going into to through the wood on the transom. The drain holes in the splash well need to come out too. Use a screw driver to fold over the flare and then drive them though. Once you get all that done it should come out easy. So if you over look just one screw you'll be fighting it and it has to come out anyway to get then new transom in.

Thanks ST - that exactly what I did. Some of those screws are tough to get to in sealed side floatation compartments. I missed two screws are fought them the whole way, However the old transom was so rotted I chipped it all out. I caulked in PVC pipe for the new drain holes. Finished it up, it sure looks nice and very stable. I almost don't want to sell it now.