• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leeches at Gander

GlassEyeangler

over the last couple of years, the Gander Mountian in Lakeville will sometimes sell me a 1/2lb of leeches, and other times they won't. they will; however, sell me a pound...no problem, at any time. not sure why i can't figure this out, but wouldn't selling a 1/2lb be a good thing?

here's an example...a couple of days ago, i asked for a 1/2lb and the guy told me 'we can't do that'. i told him i have picked up at 1/2lb on at least 3 occassions since spring, and he replied 'we can get fired for doing that!' i pointed out that there is a bar code on the counter showing a 1/2lb with the price of $9.99...i asked if they can't sell them - why have a bar code for it? he replied, your right...we need to remove that!

my question is, why is Gander sometimes selling 1/2lbs and sometimes not? i'm asking this not based on the price of leeches...heck, i don't mind paying $15 for a 1/2lb...i just don't want to take care of a pound (changing the water, etc.)

He was trying to"up sell you".

I think the next words out of my mouth would have been.... "is your manager around?" wink

Any bait shop that sells in bulk will sell 1/2pound. Mabe the kid just did not want to split up a 1lb container.....

It's probably just a miscommunication deal, they have a sign there that says "we don't sell half dozens of minnows" the guy was probalby confused. If a big box retalier has a SKU for the product they can and want to sell it.

Also, Gander is horrible at haveing their prices correctly marked, it drives me nuts.

My buddy works in the fishing deparment, and his manager (the FISHING manager) was the one who told him they don't do that. He's got the same questions as you do. If anyone has been doing it, yeah, they could get fired.

Well at that point then I think I would make it a point to drop the handfull of other stuff I WAS going to buy, and make it a point to look them in the eye while doing it, and walk, not say a word, just walk. If they don't want that sale, they don't get ANY sale. Go up the road to the next place or the mom and pop shop and get your bait and gear from them. They will be glad to have it.

I have noticed the Customer Service skills going down hill fast at this particular chain. Not just at one certain shop but multiple shops and in all departments. It has to start somewere. If the managers stink at it, the employee's will to.

Completely agree Neighbor Guy, I always try to shop at local or mom and pop stores for everything if I can. It seems we have a good number of stores around my area that I can just about get anything I want without having to shop at big box stores and usually not only is the service better but the items be they food or sporting goods are fresher and thet usually have a better selection.

I've been very happy with Forest Lake GM (can only speak for the fishing dept). Unlike other stores I've experienced, they typically have plenty of staff on hand to help, and they go out of their way to help you with what you need. It is the only GM I will go to.

I've tried providing constructive feedback to help improve cust service (regarding the Woodbury store) via there web site. Unfortunately never got a response or any acknowledgement of any kind.

Whenever possible, I do try to give the small independent bait shops my business.

Well it works both ways guys. I mean I just got done talking to my friend who works there, and he told me tonight while he was working, a customer came up and asked him if a UnderArmor hat was 20% off. My friend (works in fising)asked why, and he said because it was in a bin. The bin had a big sign in it saying "20% Off All Clearance FISHING Lures!!!" Now come on, there's a difference between something mislabeled, and this. Obviously a former customer had put it in the wrong bin. Now after my friend told the customer this, the guy goes "Well looks like it's going back there then!" Threw the hat in the bin, and walked away. Now obviously the guy wasn't supposed to go put the hat back, but he cold've at least handed it to my friend or something. Another story was about how this guy who he replaced a rod tip for, the guy didn't even know Gander did that, was really greatful and appreciative. Well while cleaning the marine section, my friend found the guy's rod tip just sitting on the shelf. The guy couldn't even throw it in the trash. That was just tonight in a four hour shift. It's a two way thing, guys.

In retail, when you deal with people, you will run into slobs.

But as an employee you are paid to have good customer service skills. IT IS YOUR JOB! An unfortunate reality, but a reality none the less. And as I said earlier, if the managers stink at it, the employee's will too.

I would hope your friend could talk about it and had a chuckle at the end of his shift. While at the same time going on with his job. Missplaced merchandise is part of the job, deal with it. If there is a sku for 1/2lb of leaches, you sell the 1/2lb of leaches. If someone asks a question and the employee does not have the aswere, they go find someone who does, they dont just walk away like a doofus.

As I said, the customer service at this chain has gone down hill big time. It may be because the "newness" of the expansion has worn off(several new stores in a short amount of time), resession, who knows, but it shows.

Top all that off with the selection deminishing, staff knowlage of products being poor at best, and staff shortages it all compounds into bigger issues.

Wooooooo... lets not shoot the poor Baitshop Dude here guys....let me explain it and then you can proceed from here with some knowledge in hand...see if it helps.

Gander did not use a 1/2 pound designation tell up to late last season, and in only 1 location...Fargo. So don't shoot the messenger if he missed it, or if it has not yet been added to that particular store locations UPC baitshop SKU sheets.

I know this because I work for Gander and I added the 1/2 pound UPC's, by receiving them in 1/2 lbs quantity's it simplified everything, and offers the convenience to customers who wish a 1/2 pound without messing up the inventory system.

Inventory management was the complication before, not as much so now as the 1/2 pound UPC preaty much solves this when used correctly.

We sell lots of leeches in the Fargo area and by far the most popular way to do it is in the 1/2 pound pre-packs.

So..I know you can get 1/2 pounds, as long as that store is using the 1/2 pound receiving system. And yes, there is a 1/2 lb UPC in the bait system, I put it there, they just need the look it up.

OK..now there are the guys want a 1/4 pound, and we are back to the inventory management issues again. For now, there is no 1/4 pound UPC at Gander, and no plans to add one. Simply discounting the 1/2 to a 1/4 just mess's up the system, and that results in stores running out of bait because the big brain says it has them, when it does not.

Ask them to check the UPC's for the 1/2 lb large and/or Jumbo's...it's there, he may have missed it is all. That particular store may need to add it too, some may not have been using this system. For your convenience simply request it and explain that it is in the system already in other locations...such as Fargo...that should do it.

I hope this helps.

Did you ask to speak with a manager? That probably could have helped more than a rant on FM. I doubt the guy was not doing it just to be lazy. Id imagine he heard at one point that he was not supposed to sell them. Like Ed pointed out it may mess up inventory in that store.

Wooooooo... lets not shoot the poor Baitshop Dude here guys....let me explain it and then you can proceed from here with some knowledge in hand...see if it helps.

Gander did not use a 1/2 pound designation tell up to late last season, and in only 1 location...Fargo. So don't shoot the messenger if he missed it, or if it has not yet been added to that particular store locations UPC baitshop SKU sheets.

I know this because I work for Gander and I added the 1/2 pound UPC's, by receiving them in 1/2 lbs quantity's it simplified everything, and offers the convenience to customers who wish a 1/2 pound without messing up the inventory system.

Inventory management was the complication before, not as much so now as the 1/2 pound UPC preaty much solves this when used correctly.

We sell lots of leeches in the Fargo area and by far the most popular way to do it is in the 1/2 pound pre-packs.

So..I know you can get 1/2 pounds, as long as that store is using the 1/2 pound receiving system. And yes, there is a 1/2 lb UPC in the bait system, I put it there, they just need the look it up.

OK..now there are the guys want a 1/4 pound, and we are back to the inventory management issues again. For now, there is no 1/4 pound UPC at Gander, and no plans to add one. Simply discounting the 1/2 to a 1/4 just mess's up the system, and that results in stores running out of bait because the big brain says it has them, when it does not.

Ask them to check the UPC's for the 1/2 lb large and/or Jumbo's...it's there, he may have missed it is all. That particular store may need to add it too, some may not have been using this system. For your convenience simply request it and explain that it is in the system already in other locations...such as Fargo...that should do it.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply Ed.

I guess it would depend on what size leeches you were getting but sometimes the leeches are so large and the count is so small that it wouldnt even be worth it in the customer's standpoint to even buy a half pound of leeches when it would be of better value to just get them in the dozen packages. Ive seen this at several baitshops around mn.