• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Toro Preferences

sbro73

Well, by now those that own them will have a set way they like to fish theres. Just curious, how you like to fish yours? Do you adjust the brakes at all? Which handle works best for you? What Line? What Rod? Just curious what's working for the gang. Cannot wait to get my hands on that new Toro Winch coming out in September, I have a Predator rod with its name on it! Tight Lines!

I've got the 60HS. I've got it spooled with 80lb. Tuf Line XP and have spooled it about 3/4 full. The thing absolutely bomb's for casts and I typically have it on blade and topwater duty. As for the brakes....I typically turn it off and thumb quite often. It's on a 8' H Compre and feels incredibly light so I can only imagine what it's like on a lighter stick. Great reel and I can't wait to see the Winch in September.

NC, It's just something I've always done on most of my larger profile baitcasters so it was a natural progression to the Toro. I've never fully spooled the Toro so I can't comment on if it is a better thing to do on low-profiles. I feel like the spool is easier to thumb and prevents less backlash scenarios on the larger reels. Nothing worse than spending 15 minutes of time on the water dealing with a rat's nest. I figured with the amount of time I spent doing that and the amount of line I cut off I should just go 3/4 and be done with it. Just do what works for you. Good luck. smile

I have HS toro spooled with 80# powerpro. It's on a custom rod from KT proedge rods built with a slingblade StCroix legend blake. I've been really please with this combination. You can really burn a cowgirl to the point it blows out of the water so the reel is plenty fast in my opinion. I haven't had any problems with this reel and I put about 20 hours a week on it. I will be buying the lower geared Toro later this year along with another rod from KT. I feel that this is the best musky reel out there and I tried just about all of them.

Mines a 5:3:1 spooled with 80# Stealth, full spool sitting on a Heavy 9' Predator for blades and gliders and whatever else I care to throw on it. Basicly anything smaller than a mag dawg. I love mine and like all my reels no breaks and spool tension backed all the way off. Only a couple professional overruns so far, they are a pain on the low pro reels but I still like it. ( never thought I would say I liked an Abu muskie reel)

love mine. started burning big blades 3 weeks ago and man has it been nice. backed off on the brakes too. only a couple backlashes...

i'd go with the power handle. i love em. I have 80 pound stealth as well. Its a bit light of a reel for a super heavy rod, feels a little mismatched with my 8 foot XH.