• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Food Plot question

Ok I got another question for you guys. The small field that I am trying to prep to plant this food plot in is covered in weeds. I sprayed a ton of round up on it like a week and a half ago but they weeds are partially turning brown but that is it. Should I go weed wack the field and then spray? Should I try something else?

Just got done cutting my plots this week going to spray one tomorrow and the other next week. Read the lable the stuff I use says not to cut 7 days before or after, I don't use round up but similar its concentrate and makes 2 times more then the round up concentrate one bottle covers 6,000 sqft

Jameson,

I have sprayed roundup on clover (to kill other grasses and weeds). The clover will survive unless you really get put on a high dose. I have one plot that I sprayed last summer and the clover came in great by fall. Because we mixed in some rye and wanted to expand the plot, I sprayed it again about 6 weeks ago. My intentions were to kill everything so it was covered well. Last time I checked, the clover was recovering nicely. I don't know what I would do if I really wanted to get rid of the clover.

Hey guys quick question, just went up and weed whacked and sprayed my little field today. I was wrong about the size it is 28 by 57 feet exactly. I am all geared up to till up and plant like AUG 4 is that too early for a clover/chicory mix?

Also the dirt is somewhat dry there, because on one side it drops down to a swamp. I do see natural clover there though. Also the place that I am going to go to pick up the seed has all sorts of clovers, and chicory. Is there a certain kind that I should get?

I would go with a white and red type of clovers you could also mix in some berseem clover but its pretty expensive and it is an annual so it probably doesnt even pay when fall planted. As for chicory I think any kind will do fine i guess the only kind I have ever planted was 10 point chicory but im sure its all pretty similar. Early august should work fine for planting as for watering after you plant if you have a good way of doing it I would go for it but it sounds like a lot of work to me I would just plant and pray for rain. Good Luck!

plant clover and chicory whenever, just not in september, as it would probably be too late then. DO NOT fertilize the plot until after the clover and chicory are at least a few inches tall. and it will take a few weeks to get there! once the plot is coming up fertilize it with a blend containing no nitrogen. look for something high in potash. a 0-54-8 is an excellent blend if you are working in sod ground!

So I am planting monday for sure. The wheather is supposed to be wonderful. It is supposed to be nice all week with no rain. I have a watering pot and I can bring five gallon buckets of water up there to water it. My question is though the only way I can water the plot is too walk over what I just planted. I really know nothing about seeds and I am a little concerned that this isn't a good thing. Am I worrying over notheing here?

It wont be a problem at all, if anything it will help by giving the seed better soil contact by packing it tight around the seed where you stepped. Alot of farmers are using rollers or cultipackers now on there fields right after they plant to do exactly that, kinda the same as walking over the seeds except alot bigger scale! Once the seed starts to germinate though then you might want to stay off it for a while until it get a chance to get a little bigger but it will usually bounce back after being stepped on even at that stage.

Usually any local co-op will have turnips and rape otherwise you can order online from like Welters or another seed company but then you have to pay for shipping. Turnips and rape grow very fast I planted some on July 15th and they are about 6 inches tall already. As far as planting date if you want to get the maximum growth plant around 90 days before you expect a good hard frost, but its past that point now so I would get them in the ground as soon as you have time. You could even plant them the end of the month if thats the only time you can get at it but you wont get as much growth.

Hey guys thought I would give everyone an update on the food plot. I brought my range finder with and I was wrong on the size it is 30 yards by 15 yards so a bit bigger then I thought. It took forever and it was a pain the the a$$! But I can't wait to see the results I will be up there sunday through tuesday I think I will take a walk up there like monday or tuesday and check it out, will I see any results after exactly one week?

probably, if you got rain after planting an annual! oats, or the like, turnips and rape, come up pretty fast. perennials like clover and chicory grow fast once their root system gets established. don't expect to see them before 2 weeks.