• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Embarassing but true.....

Ok, I have a confession to make....

Hi, I am the Neighbor_Guy, and at the embarassingly old age of 30years and 5months I made my first "made from scratch" sausage/white cream/pepper gravy. And I can honestly say, it was the BEST country gravy I have ever had. How stupid easy was that? For whatever reason I have always thought it was a difficult thing to do. Now I know, no more gravy in a can for me.

French fries and gravy MMMmmmmmmmmm yummy.....

Anyone else got any "cullinary confesions" they would like to make?

Add to that a side of hash browns and layer it so the browns go down first, then the eggs, then crumbled biscuits and top it all off with the gravy and you have the best dam breakfast around.

Quite possibly my favorite meal of all time. My grandpa did it best.

How could you forget the hash browns Jim? I sometimes do them just a bit different and slice just a bit smaller than french fries and fry them in bacon grease with onions, those are truely my favorite potatoes. Dad taught me how to make em. Fry them until they just start to brown so you get the crispies and the softies all in one shot.

Holy smokes, I am freakin hungry right now. Guess what my house is having Saturday morning?

I browned a pound of Venison/pork breakfast sausage and removed the meat from the pan w/a sloted spoon leaving the grease behind.

Then made a rue by adding 2tbs of butter to the pan/grease and scraped all the bits off the pan. Put in 2tbs of flower and worked it in until all the butter/grease was absorbed. Whisked in a little more than a cup of milk, mabe about 1 1/4cups(in my case skim) and about (eyeballed it) a 1/4cup of half and half(to add some fat). Whisk that constantly until all the lums come out and it will almost triple in volume.

Topped it off with Very coarse ground pepper to taste. Then tossed the sausage back in the pan with the hole lot of it.

Spooned it over some oven fries for a plate full of Canadian style "french fries and gravy"

You can almost feel your arteries closing while you eat it. wink

Like I said "stupid easy" not sure why it took so long to try it on my own. Now I do feel like a dope for spending the $$$ on the gravy in a jar or "just add water" gravy mix for all these years.

Brown gravy and cheese curds!!!! I've been douped!!! I was allways told that "canadian" french fries and gravy involved homestyle sausage gravy. Liars mad

Ok let me revise my original statement....

What I said was: "...a plate full of Canadian style "french fries and gravy""

What I should have said was: "...a plate full of what the heck this is what I've got so lets make the best of it..."

On the other hand this knowlage could be a good thing.... French fries, cheese curds, and brown gravy actualy sounds fairly good... I bet it is even better with corn and peppar involved....

Ok, I have a confession to make....

Hi, I am the Neighbor_Guy, and at the embarassingly old age of 30years and 5months I made my first "made from scratch" sausage/white cream/pepper gravy. And I can honestly say, it was the BEST country gravy I have ever had. How stupid easy was that? For whatever reason I have always thought it was a difficult thing to do. Now I know, no more gravy in a can for me.

French fries and gravy MMMmmmmmmmmm yummy.....

Anyone else got any "cullinary confesions" they would like to make?

Pretty good rush of satisfaction too, wasn't it?

Last time I was in Montreal one of the people I was up with there with kept saying that we had to try Poutine and I didn't know what the heck it was. When I had it up there it was okay.

I think your white gravy/sausage version sounds much better!