• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Video Trolling

HugoBox

Have any of you tried the video trolling? I was giong to give it a run last year but never got much further than talking about it.

This year I'm actually going to do it - I know the releases on most trolling boards don't work well with superline so I'm wondering what release would work the best for musky line on a downrigger. Maybe a rubber band like the charter captains used on Lake Michigan would be best? Any input would be appreciated.

thanks - erik

i was going to too. i want to get one of the Walker Strike Vision downriggers, but every time i get the money something always comes up. you know, new motor, water heater explodes, computer start's smoking and popping, central air, washer, dog died (i miss that little guy, best fishing buddy i ever had), falling out with the woman stuff like that. i could have gotten the black and white version maybe but i want the color or nothing. anyway, there's a few ways to hook just a regular video cable to the drop line but i've only read about them so far and never really did it. but if you don't get a good answer here your best bet would be to go to the BWCA Duluth forum and ask those people. they downrig all the time and would know the best ways i would say.

Don - We talked quite some time ago - I was going to give you some excess lures to give to the program that you donate stuff to. I still have them so maybe we should get together and get you the lures and give the downrigging w/ the camera a try. I have all the gear, just don't know if the release is right.

eboxmeyer (at) arrow (dot) com

sounds good hugo smile i'll make the time i don't have for that. smile i'm always into learnin' stuff. let's see. need a pretty clear lake, not too far away from me or you. i assume your in hugo? what do you think the chances are of getting on WBL? i aint afraid of getting a little wet smile . maybe do a little fishing first. been on there maybe 10 times in the last 4 or 5 years but i knew it and fished it pretty heavy before that. i bet some of those old spots are still humpin' even if the waters way down. got my third biggest smallie outta there. had my fair share of 'ski's but nothing too big.... yet!!

email sent.

BTW, go here if you want to the kids' programs and find something to donate too. contact them and ask if you can donate your lures. if not there, they will find a place i'm sure. smile

... i suggest no first graders laugh

i gave some cash for the ''Lore of the Loon'' one. sounded pretty nifty smile

I used sheetmetal for ductwork to make a mount for the camera. Just bent a piece around the downrigger cable, and another piece attached to the back of the camera with a bolt connecting them so I had a pivot point. I used the heavy offshore releases with 80 lb tuffline and was able to pull DCGs to about five mph without looping my line. It's pretty simple to set up, and makes trolling interesting.