• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ricky Rubio

Scott K

Not only that, but his rookie contract is fixed based on his draft pick number, so the Wolves can't pay him more to make up the difference.

After the draft, Kahn said they chose him over Flynn because then they could pay him more money to help out his situation.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rubio will be a T-wolf. The wolves have his right indefinitely from this June's draft. The only way he plays for another NBA team is if he gets traded or if he sits out basketball (NBA or FIBA)for one year and then re-submits for the draft. He's in no financial position to do that.

exactly....we hold his rights for the length of a rookie contract 3 or 5 years, even if he doesn't sign with us, then after that if we didn't get him here then I believe he would be able to sign elsewhere in the NBA........

exactly....we hold his rights for the length of a rookie contract 3 or 5 years, even if he doesn't sign with us, then after that if we didn't get him here then I believe he would be able to sign elsewhere in the NBA........

Nope... we lose his rights if he sits out this year and at 18 years old he could easily afford do it. Probably won't happen but it is a possibility and we could lose him after one year.

Originally Posted By: ozzie

Nope... we lose his rights if he sits out this year and at 18 years old he could easily afford do it. Probably won't happen but it is a possibility and we could lose him after one year.

possible yes, but in order to do this he still has to pay his buyout which is probably harder to do without a job. and next year's draft is the deepest in a long time. he'd likely not increase his stock, especially if he sat out.

I emailed the NBA with this question on what happens to Rubio if we don't sign him now......This would suprise me as we have drafted the rights to many overseas players that we still hold the rights to and I am sure we haven't signed them to a contract of any sorts.......and when David Kahn was asked about Rubio after the draft he had said that worse case scenario is that Ricky plays out his Spanish contract and comes to the wolves in 2 years when he is all of 20 years old.....so that gave me the impression that we hold his draft rights for a few years

Have you guys heard anything about the overseas player we drafted last year?

Pekovic. said to have been a lotto player if he was in the draft. He's a bruiser, but not much for rebounding. His stats were ok, but he's one more full season away from coming over. He's probably more valuable as a commodity for a trade than if he plays for us

Ricky Rubio's Facebook Status Update: (real)

Estoy preparado para jugar en Minnesota esta temporada y estamos trabajando en la compra ahora. Gracias por todo su apoyo.

translation

" I am prepared to play in Minnesota this season and we are working on the buyout now. Thank you for all of your support."

I really don't have a problem with him playing in Europe for 2 more years...that you make him roughly the same age as a college player coming out after his sophomore year. Two more years to work on his defense and his jump shot. The Wolves aren't going to go anywhere for those two years, and then we can get him when we are ready to make the big move.

I don't think we can recover the pick. We do own his rights as long as he plays pro ball though. In order for us to lose him he would have to sit out a year of ball and re-enter the draft. That is my understanding of the situation. It would be just our luck if we got screwed out of Rubio or the pick though.

I think we need to try and trade this guy. Frankly, I think the kid is scared that Johnny Flynn would eat him for lunch. From what I can tell the kid is soft, not sure of his decision to enter the draft, and not quite sure he's ready to compete in the NBA. How many other players have been drafted #5 overall and then said..nahh, nevermind, I want to go back to college for a couple more years?? Is that the kind of leader you want to run your team? If the guy had any kind of competitive bone in his body he would have been in Minnesota working out the day after the draft. If the TWolves were smart we'd start shopping him to other teams for future 1st round picks while his value is still high. But overall, this pick turned out to be a disaster in my humble opinion.

yep I couldn't care less if he stays over seas for awhile as he is still young. His stock should just keep rising in the next 2 years if he is as good as they say he is so we can sit back and let his stock rise and always have his rights in our back pocket if something better comes up in trade prospects.

exactly what ozzie said. When we get him in two years I believe we will have a decent playoff contending team. Then with him added into the mix we will even be better off. And if Flynn works out like he is expected too we can trade him to fill a well needed hole, like a center.

We also should get a good pick next season since I don't see us improving to much this season.

Pierbridge is right, Rubio is several years from the NBA if at all. He's a terrible shooter, a marginal passer and undersized. Check out how he performed in the Olympics and not just against team USA. Players like him are a dime a dozen and those expecting him to improve his skills in 2 years and be a success in the NBA are only fooling themselves. What a wasted pick!

You guys are nutz!! This kid brings the excitement of a Stephon Marbury, just not the Thug to go with it! Sure he needs work, but he is 18! How many 18 year old's go to the NBA and don't need work? Most get a few years in college ball to improve. Just consider his new contract his college ball. He will be a stud when he gets here, and he will draw people to the games!