• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ricky Rubio

Scott K

I hope things work out to get this kid here this year. He will bring some much needed excitement to the Wolves!

Quote:
According to Charley Waters of the Pioneer Press, Ricky Rubio informed the Minnesota Timberwolves in a post draft private meeting that he wants to play for them this season.

The only thing standing in the way continues to be his contract with current team DKV Joventut. It's still a sticky situation, but Rubio has been exploring taking out loans and pursuing endorsements to help speed the process along.

Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Ricky Rubio is clearly irritated with his current club and has no intentions of returning regardless of how the contract dispute is resolved.

"I want to continue with the club but, after everything that's happened, I don't think they're too comfortable having me in their squad. So I need to look out for myself," Rubio said. Where Rubio will end up is still up in the air but DKV Joventut is likely to lose him regardless. Jul. 22 - 1:32 pm et

I heard that if they can line up enough endorsement deals to pay for the buyout, he is going to come this year. Otherwise he will just wait a year and demand a trade to someone who will be more reasonable with the buyout.

I feel bad for the kid. He finally achieves what he's wanted to and they hold that over his head. They want over $6mil for him and he made less than $100k. I could see buying out his last two years of salary or something, but not 60 times his salary.

The whole situation is very odd.

6 million in the NBA is nothing. If the wolves really want him and think he is that good they will pay it. Myself I think he is good but a bit over hyped. He is young and will need a few years to get into NBA shape and get used to the style.

The reason his buyout is so much is because they European team he is coming from lost a lot of money and belive they are in debt, so using their leverage and getting as much money as they can through Rubio to get enough money to get out of the hole.

6 million in the NBA is nothing. If the wolves really want him and think he is that good they will pay it. Myself I think he is good but a bit over hyped. He is young and will need a few years to get into NBA shape and get used to the style.

Umm...No.. NBA forbids clubs from paying out more than 500k for buyouts. If D. Stern found out that the 'Wolves pulled that trick, he would come down on them harder than the big red anvil thing on "Wipeout". They might of tried it when Kevin McDumb[PoorWordUsage] was there. Hopefully, now that he left, the organization's IQ went up a few points.

That's right...buyout is no option here. I think Kahn will line up some pretty sweet deals for the kid to get him over here this year. One deal from Nike or someone like that and it's over.

If D. Stern found out that the 'Wolves pulled that trick, he would come down on them harder than the big red anvil thing on "Wipeout".

They should have tried it anyways. They are already one of the worst teams in existence. How much worse could it really get?

Hillarious!!

I am sure they have rules against that, otherwise all of the billionaires would just have dummy jobs for these guys at their companies and their salary would be the minimum.

FYI ~ Just read the Spanish team just increased the buyout to 7.7 mil. That tells me Rubio wants to play over here and they know it, so they are trying to milk it for all its worth.

"A Spanish media report said Wednesday that Kahn went to Spain with a list of Minnesota companies willing to sign Rubio to endorsement deals for a sum totaling $4 million, which could pay all or most of a renegotiated deal with DKV Joventut."

Hope all works out or this will really be an ugly season to watch and then get screwed next year and end up with 5th pick after having worst record.

last night on the news they were saying the buyout was 8.2 mil......that is a steep jump from the 6.6 that was earlier reported.....either way I hope they figure something out and get him over here and playing for the Wolves.....

It's not an issue of if we want to sign him or not, the issue is The Timberwolves, or any other team can ONLY pay $500k to buy out his contract because of the rules of the collective bargaining agreement. Kahne has found him $4m in advertising bonuses, plus the $500k the team can give him. They went there to see if they would except 4.5 million, instead of the 6.6 million to buy out his contract. No decision was announced. The only thing I have seen about the 8.2 million was of SI and I think it was a typo.