• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Metro Bow Hunt

mrklean

They are now taking applications for most metro hunts.

Go to strictlybowhunting.youknowtherest and click on the MBRB link, then "apply for deer removal hunts".

You have to be a member of the mbrb first and have your proficiency test taken before the orientation. I'm not 100% sure but I think it's too late to join this year,I have done the hunts he last 2 years and have had a blast they put on some very good hunts.

The deadline for MBRB is Aug. 15 so you have a litte time, but the first hunts close for applications right after the deadline so you should be in early.

Their HSOforum has also changed so look for MBRB online. I've been doing MBRB for 4 years. Its a great metro opportunity.

I've been doing MBRB for 4 years. Its a great metro opportunity.

I just registered and will be sending in my dues tomorrow. Is there a good chance at getting drawn for any of these, or is there a lot of people and you have to put in time and gain preference points?

Are any of the hunts really bad, like bad location(right next to the ghetto), or just not a lot of deer?

I'm pretty much up for hunting any of the hunts. Unfortunately a few of them overlap with rifle season, but depending on how my bow season goes I could possibly make it.

I would appreciate any advice at all! I can't wait to climb a tree this fall!

I am not a member, but have a few friends who have been, and they may do it again this year. Their biggest complaint is the way the stand selections are allocated. Something along the lines of once the hunters have been selected, the ones that applied first choose stands first. This seems fair on the surface. But the way it was explained to me, is that their are a core group of people running the MBRB, and they find ways to make sure they are the first to apply every time. So in the end, the same people get the best stands over and over again.

Good Luck!

Every hunt is run a little differently, as every hunt has it's own coordinator. True, the people running the show usually get first pick of stands, not always. There's a lot of time and effort put into each of these hunts and the people who do the work should get the pick, don't you think?

From what I've seen, each of these hunts brings a little something different to the table. All have fair amounts of deer or else what's the point. All give you a great opportunity to harvest a deer, some have the potential of world class bucks.

Apply for as many as your schedule allows and you'll have a fair chance of participating in at least one hunt.

biggest complaint is the way the stand selections are allocated....their are a core group of people running the MBRB, and they find ways to make sure they are the first to apply every time. So in the end, the same people get the best stands over and over again.

I believe that to be true also. I've heard some things from guys that are very active with the MBRB (not just hunting in it but helping run it) about who gets selected and where they get to hunt --- basically that they break their own rules every year to assure themselves of trophy hunts. Overall a nice organization and nice hunting opportunities ..... but REALLY nice for a select few.

Those who do the work should get their choice IMO. The people within the MBRB work on this stuff year round going to meetings, working with public officials amd maintaining the bowhunter database. Why shouldn't they get first choice?

I have helped out and coordinated 2 different hunts in the past. In both of those hunts, I let other hunters take the best spots since I had other duties as a coordinator.

I don't coordinate any longer since I now have some of my own land that I pay a lot of money in taxes to hunt on. It seemed kind of pointless for me to take 4 weekends (or whatever it was) to coordinate other hunters. I do still put into the lottery for some hunts and hunt them whenever I can.

So, I take it each huning area is broken down into little areas that the hunter who is chosen is then assigned to? Am I interpreting that right?

So if you're not in the "in" with the MBRB, you'll basically be in a tree next to the parking lot? wink

That seems kind of dumb. I would assume that if you got drawn for a hunt it would be first come and the ones that put in the scouting time and whatnot would wind up in the best area.

I guess I'll give it a whirl this year.

One other question,

I reside outside of the metro, do you have to be a resident of the metro area to take part in these hunts? My family lives there so I have a place to stay and all.

Thanks again!

No, you don't need to be a resident, but be aware that there are manditory meetings you must attend in order to take part in all these hunts. Most of these meetings are weeknights. Make sure you'll be able to get here for them before applying for hunts.

So if you're not in the "in" with the MBRB, you'll basically be in a tree next to the parking lot? wink

You don't need to be "in" and the parking lot isn't always bad.

A couple years ago I shot a couple deer closer to the road so they asked me then next year to show others where I had put my tree stand. I did and everyone always went past where I was hunting and never got any deer!

Cmon guys this is getting a little ridiculous.

Stand sites are drawn by who was drawn first in the lottery, not who signed up or paid their dues first. I am no insider and I've had decent luck.

The bottom line is, just like any other hunting you need to do your homework but also listen to the hunt coordinator.

A lot of guys come in to MBRB hunts thinking they know everything and end up ranting when their 'hotspot' isn't panning out. Like Archerystud said, sometimes the best spots are in the least likely places. These aren't "up north" deer.

Generally speaking, hunters are 'assigned' by choice to certain areas to assure coverage of the property and make sure nobody is shooting towards anyone else. You have the ability to move stands on most hunts if things aren't working out.

The hunts are not hunts to the cities that bring in MBRB - it is deer removal, and mainly doe removal at that. If you are intending to whack as many does as possible, MBRB will be a good fit. If you plan on not showing up on doe-only weekend and then trying to only shoot trophy bucks I don't think you'll be around too long.

My best advice is to come with an open mind, listen up, and have a little faith. Beyond that, if you are drawn for 2 weekends, you best be prepared to soldier on and hunt 2 weekends - there is nothing more irritating to the coordinators than lazy people who bail on sundays to drink beer and watch the Vikings lose.

Thanks Wait!! You hit the nail on the head.

We've been doing MBRB for several years. The hunters for each hunt are drawn randomly, unless you are assigned to work a hunt. I know MBRB insiders who have been passed over for some of the more desireable hunts. Its 90% fair. But, you have to put your time in and if you've spent years doing the hunts and hours of your own time to plan a hunt, you're gonna get a little preference since its volunteers that keep the organization moving.

I have been in the tree by the parking lot and I got one deer and would've had another if I didn't get winded. I also had a spot I thought was terrible, a single oak tree at the top of a hill in the open about 30yds from a garage and driveway....I shot 2 does in 2 minutes on the first morning and had several other deer bed down on the backside of the tree from me. That was on a 7 acre private property on a metro lake.....you can't beat that.

Sign up, go to the orientation and be ready to hunt. If you have questions, ask, but please don't speculate about 3rd party info.

Good to hear some more input on the hunt. In the end, I decided to pass on it. I decided on that due to the fact I don't live real close to the cities and scouting and attending meetings could be challenging and they would pull me away from other easier, more economical hunting opportunities.

My main reason for wanting to partake was to hunt one of the parks that was by my folks place. I grew up wandering around there and am somewhat familiar with how the deer move there.

It would have been a lot of fun, but in the end, I knew it would be a long shot to get drawn for that park and figured I could better spend my time hunting elsewhere.

Good luck to all that partake this year!

For those in the metro it is a fantastic opportunity to hunt from home. Its a much cheaper alternative to heading up north. I still hunt all over the place, but its nice to have a management hunt near home to help supplement my hunting time.