• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MUNGER TRAIL Duluth

This is from the DNR HSOforum.

The 63 mile Hinckley - Duluth segment of the Willard Munger State Trail is now completely paved, making this the longest paved trail in the world. The trail extends between Hinckley, Willow River, Moose Lake, Barnum, Carlton, and Duluth. The trail passes near Banning State Park, through Finlayson, Willow River and General C.C. Andrews State Forest, and through the spectacular scenery of Jay Cooke State Park. The northeast portion of the trail provides scenic views of the St. Louis River and the twin ports of Duluth and Superior.

I live in Carlton and I like the portion from Carlton to Duluth the best because there is shade and some great scenery and if it is windy you are protected a little more. There are some spots with hills so a 7 year old might get a little tired but if you start in Carlton you can just stop at the start of the hills and come back. There is a parking lot and a picnic area along with satellites.

We rode the Munger trail from the trailhead in Duluth to Jay Cooke, then in to Carlton.About 30 miles round trip. A very nice trail most of the way. some spots are rough due to tree roots growing up through the blacktop. Mostly wooded, really not any views of the lake. The trail has a slight incline going towards Jay Cooke. My wife and I, I had my 7 year old on a tag a long, and my 10 year old daughter. averaged about 10 mph on the way up, and 15 mph going back to duluth.