• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

homemade rod storage/holders for boat

jwmiller33

Today after work im going go build a little rack with inch and a half pvc pipe and a couple 2x4's to hold 4 or 5 rods for my boat. my main reason for this is just to have the rods up off the floor and out of the way while im fishing and drivin the boat. can anybody post some pics of similar projects they have done? or explain one that you have seen before. thanks much all

my main reason for this is just to have the rods up off the floor and out of the way while im fishing and drivin the boat.

Not sure what kind of boat you have, but here is the one I built for my Sportfish for the same reasons. I used the PVC pipe for sink drains found at any hardware store, they are around 12" long and have a ridge around them. Cut grooves on the front and back of the tube for the reels to sit in, and then dipped the top in tool dip. I still have to carpet or paint the wood, but that will be a winter project. This setup is mounted with bimini hardware and can be removed in a minute if I need. I build it so I can also use it when the rear bench seat is up.

Picture033-1.jpg

Picture018.jpg

IMG_6481.jpg

I love it!! nice work. i love the idea but i have a 16 ft lund that has a tiller so that option is not applicable to me. im thinkin about doin something very similar only on the side of my boat in the middle.. ill post pics after i do it tonight

This is a little out of the current season, however I did something very similar to 311hemi for my ice rods. I attached the 1x4 to the garage wall and utilized plumbing strap to hold the pvc and shortened the pvc to apprx 6". Works great for the ice rods, just stick the handle into the pvc and they are out of the way in the garage. A lot easier than trying to hang the top eye onto a coffee cup hook anchored in the garage rafters. Nice job on the boat.

I stole this from Turk, but take a 5 gallon bucket and put the PVC around it. I can old 8 rods. I keep my anchor in there for weight and never have had a problem with it tipping and been using it for two years now. Takes up a 12" footprint only.

I have a similiar request but for my rod locker. Since I have an older ranger with just the open rod compartement has anybody added rod tubes to prevent there poles from tangling together. I know the trick about twisting the line around the guides but I want to keep them seperated. I was thinking about putting in golf club tubes for your golf bag has anybody tried that?

mr

I have the same time Meat. I think the tubes would get in the way in those close quarters. What I did was buy the Rod Sleeves (Blue Nylong ones at Fleet for about $6 each) and put them on each rod. No tangles at all now.

I had my rods stored in this location and it worked well most of the time. The only time I did not like it was under certain fishing conditions (trolling or a lot of people in the boat) unused rods can be in the way. Another draw back is the rods need to be moved for storage, trailering, or if you are going water skiing. With that said the drawbacks are minor compared to having such an easy solution. On my boat I was able to use a berkley rod holder that I got for less than ten bucks.

For my current solution -- I have an older boat with the seats that fold down flat. I removed one of these and built a simple bench convered with vinyl and the top opened for a rod locker. Of course this will not work for most boats.

What I did was buy the Rod Sleeves (Blue Nylong ones at Fleet for about $6 each) and put them on each rod. No tangles at all now.

I do the same thing, the rod sleeves I have are black nylon material with elastic straps or cords, some of them are adjustable length. They work awesome, you can really pack a lot of rods in a tight space without tangles when using these things.

I'm glad someone asked this question. I have been trying to figure out a solution for rod storage in my boat too. I think I might have to try the bucket idea sandman suggested. It would be nice to be able to store that many rods in that little space. I like the idea of being able to move the bucket around if you need it out of the way. I'm leaving for Alaska on Monday to fish for salmon so I will have to try it out when I get back.

Here's what I did in the rod locker of our boat.

[img:center]Spectrum27SEP08022-1.jpg

Spectrum27SEP08023.jpg

I drew these out in CAD and laser cut some aluminum templates at work. I attached the template to pieces of 1" thick UHMW plastic and ran them on my router table to cut them to shape. Two screws in each one attach them to the boat. I put the rods in from both sides and put the tip through the hole and drop the butt in the cradle. This kind of crosses them up so I have to be careful but it fits twice the rods in the same space.

ok guys here is what i did today after work. it took a total of about 10 minutes and i like the way it came out because i never have more then 2-3 extra rods sitting in my boat, so i put in 4 12inch pieces of 1 1/4'' PVC, one of which will most likely be used for the net... i was going to go with 1 1/2'' PVC but 1 1/4'' is just absolutely perfect, not too small, but big enough to secure the rods.

SSPX0092.jpg

SSPX0094.jpg