Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShoreGuy1984

How to rig tubes for flipping and pitching

9 posts in this topic

I want to expand my knowledge of bass fishing, and I thought exploring more techniques would be a good way of achieving this goal. The technique I want to improve is flipping and pitching tubes, but I could use some help rigging the tubes. I have tried to Texas Rig tubes, which never seemed to work for me. Any advice would be great!

When Tube fishing (Flippin) I like to put a 3/8 to 1/2 oz (depends on thickness of weeds, depth of water, and wind) bullet sinker inside the tube before I texas rig my 4/0 or 5/0 worm hook. With the sinker inside you are more weedless and it also gives an injured - falling baitfish type action to the tube. Give it a shot and let me know what you think about it.

Thanks for the advice. I went out to my home lake this morning and give it a shot. It worked pretty well, except I went through quite a few bullet sinkers after they keep falling out for the bottom of the tube.

If your using 3/8th or 1/2 oz sinkers and they are in before you texas rig your hook (up towards the front of the tube) You should rarely loose the sinker. I've caught more than several fish with one bullet sinker in one tube.... Again, if your using too small of a sinker it will have a tendancy to fall out or possibly your tubes are larger... Either way you should be able to figure something out. You could also put a drop or two of some super glue on the weight just prior to sliding it it or stuff a small peice of cotton in the end of your tube to help keep the weight in. I've found super glue that comes in a container with a small brush applicator and it's very user friendly as far as fishing applications go. Good luck.

I just texas rig. I will often use a bobber stop in front of the sinker and a glass bead. For the most part I too use 3/8 or 1/2 oz. When in tight cover like that, I still think its important to surprise the fish, a quiet entry can really help. and being easy with the trolling motor, using as little power as needed and do not face the t-motor in the direction of the fish if at all possible.

Hiya -

One thing nobody's mentioned, which you may already know, is that the right tube really helps with Texas Rigging. Solid head tubes work WAY better. Power Bait flipping tubes, power bait pro tubes and Northland Flippin tubes all work well. A plain hollow tube will slide down on the hook all the time and drive you batty. If you don't have any flipping tubes you can take a piece of a torn up plastic worm and cram it up into the head of the tube and it'll accomplish the same thing.

I T rig with a bullet sinker most often (I like Northland Sling Shot sinkers), but will also use a jighead like a Northland Jungle Lock or a Fin Tech Title Shot jig sometimes too. If you want to weight the thing internally, Lindy makes an internal tube weight that's pretty slick. Can even get 'em with rattles.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Thanks for all the ideas ! I ended up buying some Lindy EZ Tube Rattlin' Weights. Man, these rattle weights are amazing.

I've always had my best luck going weightless, or at the most a small split shot a few inches up the line. Of course, Texas rigged.