Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thedanimalkmk

Crate/Kennel Training Question

4 posts in this topic

Getting my new pup this weekend and I have a few questions that I would like some advice on. I want to housebreak the dog which I have experience doing but I am also planing on him being an outdoor dog which is a first. I will have his outdoor kennel ready when I pick him up. Now the question, is it bad to have him spend the first week or two in the house so I can get him housebroke only to introduce him to the kennel? Would it be better for me to kennel him for the first few weeks and then bring him in and work on the housebreaking? I just don't want him getting too comfortable inside. Right now the plan is to have him outdoors in the kennel during the day as I am not able to make it home everyday over lunch and I do not want to leave him in the crate all day. Then I plan on bringing him in during the evening to work on housebreaking him. Any advice would be welcomed.

Dan

My dogs for the most part have all been outdoor dogs. I ALWAYS start them in the home to form a bond and work on potty training. Tis is important should you be on the road hunting and staying in a MOtel. I always wan tmy dogs to know how to behave in a home.

They generally spend 8 months to a year in the house and transition to their outdoor run. Make sure they know and understand 'quiet' and comply on command. Generally dogs left to their own device and 'train' themselves in outdoor runs become barkers.

As a pup in a run, give them plenty of toys (unchewable Kong, nylabone etc) to keep them entertained through the day. Boredom will not be your best friend. Lots of exercise and attention prior to going in and upon letting them out...

Good fresh water should be available all day. clip the handle of the bucket to the fence so they cannot spill the bucket. Make sure all waste is cleaned up when you get home and spray the run down. A clean run will help develop a clean dog... a dirty run will develop a dirty dog. Do not scold them for going to the bathroom in the run when you get home. They are in there so they CAN go to the bathroom. Unless you catch them in the act it is pointless to scold them because they will not be sure what they are being scolded for. Work on house training in the house. Always take them to the same spot to relieve themselves... this will accelerate potty training. Work on giving a command to relieve themselves. My friend has a good command... 'empty'! I still use the ol' 'go potty'... the kids all use it so I do as well. It works great when you are in a time crunch, or stop along the way on a trip and let them out... they know what you expect of them.

Good Luck!

Ken

I agree, start them in the house 1st! If you start outside, you'll have a way harder time with the barking, and potty training as labs4me stated, have fun and good luck, enjoy it, cause they grow up very fast!!

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. Don't be suprised if I have a few more questions for you along the way.

Dan