• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reflective Material

fish

Question

I have an older portable and I understand that there is a rule that says something about reflecive material. Is there anybody that could shed light on what the rule is? Also a good place to get the matierial? Thanks

16 answers to this question

The DNR in Minnesota says " Fish houses left on the ice overnight need to have at least 2 square
inches of reflective material on each side of the house."

I went to Menards and found red reflective tape (2" x 20') for about 3 bucks

The other day I was nosing around cabalas and noticed some of the new fishouse skins had reflective material sewn onto them dose any one know where you can buy that reflective cloth I may just have to strip it off my safety vest

Yes, if anyone can tell me where I can find some of this reflective material I would love to know. Had a close call last year with a sled at night and let me tell you, the pucker factor was close to times on first ice (not quite). I've looked around at a few places but no luck (I even agreed to go along with wifey to a fabric store to see if, just maybe...oh the horror!)

I recommend the 3-M brand reflective tape. It catches light at more angles and can be seen a long ways off. Green and yellow in my experience shine the best.

If you know of anyone who works at a county shop or at the hy-way dept they should be able to find you just what you need.

I put tape on the ice shack, tip-ups, and on my Vexilar. I seen a Vex get dusted by a sled on the Boix De Sioux River once, that was enough to get me to tape mine up just in case.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]
http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

I had a shack on west okoboji that had 3in. reflectors on each side so it was leagel but often thought I should add mors to be on the safe side but never did.Well luckily there was no one fishing in it at the time the snowmobile went clean through it!Well evidently the snowmobile never completely stoped either,but we did find parts of his helmit,glasses,and some parts off his sled!
This shack was made out of an old truck tarp which kept it perty light for a perminant shack.So I still wonder if it was done on purpose or by accident,and who the actual laf was on!I guess my point is dont just go with the minimum BE SAFE!

------------------
cal

I found some 6x1/2" inch reflective strips bordered by 1/4 inch orange material with adhesive backing at a fabric store. Stuck them on all sides of my trap. After two years the strips still stick to the older trap canvas quite well. And yes, all it took was being buzzed by a sled a couple of years ago convince me that there had to be a safer way of sitting on the ice at night.

You can also buy the round reflectors like you see on mailboxes along country roads. Then you can sew them right on your Trap's canvas or use very short bolts/nuts with wide washers to mount them. I'd guess red would get snowmobilers to slow down out of reflex, because that red glow would look a little like tail lights when you're bouncing around inside a helmet.

Also, WalMart sells reflective tape for $1.99 for a 30-inch roll. It's in the automotive department I just bought some today and put it on all my tip-up flags.

You got that right get red. But don't get orange b/c that can act as snowmobile trail markers and the stupid ones might try to go right between them. grin.gif
My advise would be to go w/red.

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

I bought a package of four 4" x 4" self-adhesive ACR Reflective Tape Patch (SOLAS replective tape) through a company called Landfall Navigation on the internet. Works great on the portable's canvas. Adheres nicely to dacron, nylon, or cotton fabrics as well as all life-saving equipment. Had to cut them in half and attach them on all corners of my portable.

Sounds like portables on the ice at night are just plain dangerous places to be. Many's the night I heard the nearby whine of a sled and had the pucker factor going full force.

Guess I'll keep bringing the Northstar lantern, but now that I've got the Aurora headlight, I'll put the propane lantern outside on the snow. That'll keep 'em away, right?