Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishuhalik

Question for doctors

48 posts in this topic

I had a question for my doc and since he's obviously not in (it's 9:15) I figured I'd just post it on here and see what you guys think. The last 5 days I've been having some really sharp abdominal pain (just below my ribs on my right side) and a little trouble breathing. I figured it was just cuz of my bruised rib that I got a few days ago, but it's not getting any better. It's not getting any worse, either. I really hate hospitals and try to stay away from them at all costs. My wife wants me to go in just to be sure, which I'll probably end up doing tomorrow anyways. So my question is, if there's any docs or nurses on here, what do you think is going on? Ulcer? Pancreatitus(sp)? Gull stones? I'm 25, in pretty good health, and have no alergies to anything that I know of.

How did you bruise your rib? Reason I ask is I had chest pain last year that I thought was a heart attack. Few days in the hospital and got nothing. Six months of He11 and they just kept feeding me vicodin. Finally went to a Chiropractor on a whim and my spine was all out of wack pulling my ribs against each other causing the pain. Got it taken care of but still have to go in once a month or so.

But do listen to you wife and go in to have it check out for sure by a doc first. You just never know. After "acidently" finding cancer three years ago, I go to the doctor if my farts don't smell right anymore.

Definitely get it checked out if its lasted that long. Hope everything is alright!

I tripped on one of my son's toys and smacked right into the corner of a my kitchen counter.

Just below the ribs and trouble breathing? Could it be Pluracy? That usually feels like it's in the ribs, but I wouldn't rule it out.

The main thing I would be concerned with is the cause of the bruised rib and if there's any other issues going on there.

Are you certain your rib is just bruised? If it's even got a small fracture it will take along time for the pain to go away. Does Ibuprofen help?

I haven't tried Ibuprofen or any kind of asprin the last couple of days just in case it is an ulcer.

And I would think if it is actually broken I would be able to tell. It's not unbearable, just a steady, sharp pain.

Ibuprofen will often times hide symptoms of other issues. But you're right, he could have a fractured rib, not bruised.

I haven't tried Ibuprofen or any kind of asprin the last couple of days just in case it is an ulcer.

And I would think if it is actually broken I would be able to tell. It's not unbearable, just a steady, sharp pain.

No,you won't be able to tell-especially if it's a hairline break or what's called a "green twig break" where it cracks but stays in position. You would be gifted if you could tell! It'd be like getting hit in the A*$ with a buzz saw and knowing which tooth on the blade got ya! grin

Allright, the wifey finally talked me into going into urgent care. I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow morning.

Allright, the wifey finally talked me into going into urgent care. I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow morning.

Good luck and God's speed!

I also wondered about a cracked/broken rib instead of just a bruise. As MM said, they hurt, take a long time to heal, and there's not much at all that can be done about them except to grimace and bear it (God bless Aleve) until they knit themselves up. Some type of pain relief can be important with a rib issue. Constant pain will cause your muscles to tense up in compensation, and that can simply make it worse. Been there, had that happen.

I went into the emergency room two years ago with intense pain in my left arm and chest and it ended up being nothing heart related. Pleurisy was the best they could figure out.

Now, I'm not a physician, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. winkwink

Good luck at the doc, man. Glad to see you're getting it checked out. Odds are it's something pretty simple. Fingers crossed for you!

Pleurisy was the best they could figure out.

Thanks for the proper spelling Steve. wink

Good luck tomorrow, I hope it isn't anything serious.

Better to go in and have it checked...I've pulled muscles in the chest area a couple of times...they really make the heart area hurt, but the doc's seem to know what they are doing.

Now, I'm not a physician, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. winkwink

Everything alright at home, Steve? I think that's the 2nd or 3rd thread where you admitted to sleeping at a hotel for a night! grinwink

Good luck with the pain! Hopefully it is just a bruise!

My nephew just got out of the hospital after almost two weeks. He had a stomach ache for about 4 days, so they brought him in. His appendix had ruptured, which required IV antibiotics followed by surgery. Not a good situation.

Hope things turn out well!

never got into reality shows on tv, but d#@%t now im sucked in wating for the outcome. on a serious note do hope everything turns out alright. thinking about this a little more, they already have reality shows for just about everything.. why not a reality show about what bored minnesota fisherman do while not fishing!

LEP, wasn't trying to correct you. I'm just a spelling freak. crazy

fishuhalik, again, best wishes at the doctor.

Brule, next time I stay at a Holidy Inn Express I'll give you a call and you can come over and party. winkwink

I love some of these responds. I'm not claimming to be a dr but am very active in the medical field. 1st- I'd say you have to go with the obvoius, which are ribs from a fall. 2nd- I'd say gull bladder all the way- the gull bladder is on the right side and it is in the right upper quadrant. 3rd- An ulcer, have been taken alot of ibprofen for the pain. These are just some of the first things that come to my mind.

This is great! Now we're giving medical advice!!! Sometimes it pays to consult the real pro's, and not the internet experts.

Hey Fish - if you croak can I have your tackle box?

generally with appendix you get some associated nausea, not saying all the time but there. Symptoms you are saying could be gallbladder vs broken rib which as the initial swelling increased so would the pain......

standing by for the update.

Naturally since we all guessed and delayed Fish's treatment if its bad I guess were all named in the lawsuit

I'm going with a bruised rib/muscle! I'm guessing you didn't use Ice on the Rib area in the 1st 48 hours? Could be cracked or broken though!

Well the guy isn't responding so let's turn this one into something else - IMO the reaction of the original poster is evidence of what is wrong with the medical deal. The guy falls and bruises a rib, doesn't get it checked out. Has trouble for a few days and doesn't do anything about it but decides not to take any pain meds or anti-inflamatory for what seems to be a decent reason. Then things turn a bit and he ends up going to urgent care rather than a straight Doc visit during normal hours - at what 2,3,4 times the cost. Seems to me to be an instance where extra money - his or an insurance companies - is being spent when it really didn't need to be.

Of course since the guy also hasn't posted the results it could be that his friends are getting ready to work the handles, in which case he really screwed up.