• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnkota deploys at high speed...ouch!

traveler

So I'm running accross Island lake yesterday when suddenly the bowmount deploys. After stopping as fast as possible, I surveved the damage:( The "unbreakable" composite shaft....isn't unbreakable after all! It's shattered, but both ends of the motor seem to be OK. had a dickens of a time getting it to come back up to where we could tie it in place, but made it home with no more trouble.

So, has anyone else had this happen, or am I special (and not in a good way)?? I have an appt. to have it repaired; it's 2 years old and still under warrenty, but whats MK gonna say about this? Obviously I think I had it secured in the cradle before i took off, but??? Thoughts?

I agree with the ram support. My brother had it happen a few years ago and they wanted a lot of money to repair it. He ended up buying a new one. I have the ram on mine and really like it. I have seen the trolling motor head hitting the top of the boat in rough water. Get the ram system and it will never happen again.

I have an older Minnkota and it happened to me a few years ago. It has a sleeve or collar (for height adjustment of motor) that you are suppose to slide down when the boat is in motion to lock it in-place so it can't deploy. Mine was less than a week old when and happened and it is not covered under the warranty.

I am assuming it was the power drive and not the cable drive model, no velcro on those, but you are supposed to slide the collar down to prevent this like mentioned. Happened to me once that's why I know....destroyed the shaft.

Is this happening with the PD models? I have heard many reports over the last several years about this, but with my 4-5 year old PD it has a lever that locks over a collar when it is stowed. I can't see how it could deploy, but maybe I should still be sliding the depth collar down each time.

If I know Im in for a rough ride I

A) Make sure the thing is locked tight into the cradle

B) Loosen and slide the shaft stop all the way DOWN the shaft so that even if it does come lose it cant deploy.

I also do this when I trailer my boat.

I am going to mount a Ram or some other trolling motor shaft support.

thanks for the thoughts all. I can't believe they can't develop a locking system where this can't happen, but so be it. When I get it fixed, I'll make darn sure I lock the collar down every time I run. Thing is, I like the collar at a preset position, so when I deploy I can just plop it in and it's good to go. Thats the way it SHOULD work I feel, but I'm sure it says in the manual (if I can find the darn thing) that you're supposed to use the collar, and expect that will be the song they sing when they deny the warrenty claim:( It's still a good unit.

Stratosman, do you remember what it cost you to get yours fixed? Nothing hurt but the shaft?

thanks for the thoughts all. I can't believe they can't develop a locking system where this can't happen, but so be it. When I get it fixed, I'll make darn sure I lock the collar down every time I run. Thing is, I like the collar at a preset position, so when I deploy I can just plop it in and it's good to go. Thats the way it SHOULD work I feel, but I'm sure it says in the manual (if I can find the darn thing) that you're supposed to use the collar, and expect that will be the song they sing when they deny the warrenty claim:( It's still a good unit.

Stratosman, do you remember what it cost you to get yours fixed? Nothing hurt but the shaft?

They do have a locking system, cleary states in the literature that you are supposed to slide the collar down to prevent accidental deployment. If you want to keep it at a preset spot, get the RAM mount. This is not the first time this has ever happened.

On a side note, to those of you that have the auto pilot option on your PD or Terrova, It is highly recomended to use a RAM (or other style) that supports the head of the trolling motor when motoring at high speed or on the trailer.

" but I'm sure it says in the manual (if I can find the darn thing) that you're supposed to use the collar"

I'm sure I just said that:)

I mean the cradle should hold the darn thing! Why not? Design the thing so i don't have to mess with more moving parts everytine i want to deploy, I just don't think that should be beyond the reach of the guys at research and development down at MK!

Mine has never fallen out but make sure you click it in all the way. Like I said if you run in waves, and we always are it seems, lock that collar down. Its only 10 seconds to slide it back up when ya get to your spot and will save you big bucks.

Never fixed it....bought a cable type after that. I think I gave it to my brother in law, not sure if he fixed it or it's still in his pile of things to do. This was probably 7 or 8 years ago by now.

Good luck and let us know.