• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'd like to get my girls "hooked"

Its been said that I like to fish more than I like to breath - that said I'd like for my girls (4-year-old Tomboy and 6-year-old princess) to like it more. The in-laws have a place on Bald Eagle and the girls like riding and playing on the pontoon plenty but even when I find a bunch of panfish they don't care for it very long at all. I've also taken them out in my regular boat instead of the pontoon and they just like speeding around the lake, so we spend a lot of time speeding around the lake! wink

I'm very aware of not keeping them out forever and making them bored with fishing but I'm wondering what you've found to get the kids excited about fishing. I've also tried catching bass and letting them reel it in. I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't want to force them to do stuff that may not be their cup of tea but I remember as a kid loving the time on the water with my dad and Grandfathers so I'd like for them to have the same memories. I do spend plenty of time painting nails and braiding hair though so maybe that's the memories they'll have instead. grin

Thanks - Erik

Pretty young yet. Kids that age have the attention span of a gnat and fishing is a sport of patience. Also, when panfishing, once you catch the first one or two, it wears off. I have a good friend with 10 and 12 year old boys, they were the same way at that age, now they beg to go fishing. Keep them interested and shot them how. You have the right idea in what you are doing. As much as I'd love to be able to take my son fishing and hunting right now, I know it would just bore him to death after the first 10 minutes. Keep doing what you are doing, they will more than likely come around.

Have stepkids that are 12 & 14 and they will 'put up' with fishing for an hour at the most. Only have them every other weekend so it's hard to convert them to being inside all day playing videos to spending lots of time outdoors when they're with us.

Don't push them too much, they might start to really not enjoy it. You could have a little fishing contest between the 3 of you. What you want to do for a prize is up to you (trip to the dairy queen, etc) cuz of course you'll never win the big catch.. winkwinkgrin

You are going in the right direction with them enjoying the boat. My three year old loves bing in the boat fishing with Dad, but she doesn't do much fishing. I think just having her out and her loving being in the boat could work out to love fishing in due time.

Took my girls out last night. Had my daughters (12 & 3) and my great niece (12) out. First time fishing for the two 12 year olds. Second time in the boat for my dauther, first time ever for my niece. We started handlining to see if I could get some eyes and then my toddler had to go potty. Took her in and while they got snacks I tied up some bobber rods. My toddler didn't want to fish so just the girls did. After they missed a few fish they got the hang of it. My niece got 2 mooneyes and my daughter got 1 mooneye and a bass. They love the boat, the couldn't stop talking about how pretty it was on the river and best of all.....They LOVED the FISHING!!!!! My niece said "I think I found a new hobby". I loved hearing and had a grin ear to ear all they way home as they talked about it the whole way and were showing each other the pics and vids they took on their cameras.

One of the best outings I've ever had and the best part is they can't wait to go again!!

One thing I did learn is to not only bring a towel with, but also hand sanitizer for girls. Sheeeeeesh.

What a great night for you, Sandmannd!

With my girls, two like to fish, but one just wants to sit out in the sunshine and read. That is fine with me. As long as she is enjoying some aspect of the outdoors, I'm good. It really helps to go out with no expectations, and concentrate on having an enjoyable time on the water. Fish should be the bonus to start with.

My youngest would rather catch bass or sunnies. When she was little, a carp almost pulled her into the lake, so she hates them now. She started by wearing gloves to take the fish off the hook, which helped with building confidence. Now, her cousin has her take the fish off the hook for him. She will still wear gloves, if her nail polish is fresh. grin

My oldest still prefers to have mom or dad help her, but we are okay with that.

Yes, my house is the farmsite by the first stop sign on the detour. There are lots of bins near the road. We have not been loving the 24/7 truck traffic.

The relatives that we had talked about earlier live nearby. You can see the hoop barn and goat yard of Babe's daughter's from the road pretty easily.

i do remember the first stop sign. and think i remember the bins. i go back that way the end of sept, maybe earlier as i have some issues to deal with there and if i cant fix it over the phone i need to go there. if the detour is still in effect maybe drop by.

one thing i have done for my daughter is put together a "pink" tackle box. pink 4" senkos, pink tubes, pink 1/8oz. xrap, and a pink rooster tail. lots of other pink baits to follow. if you can put them on a super hot bite, it should help with the chance of a big fish.

Work has been busy so I haven't posted for awhile but thought I'd let you all know that I now have at least one certified "minnow counter" and one "bass machine." We went to my brother's cabin with the expectation to arrive on a Friday and leave on the next Wednesday - ended up staying until the next Saturday. The days were filled with nothing but bass fishing in the AM - lounging on a sandbar for the afternoon - and finishing off with Smores and beers (for me) around the fire each night.

Some photos of the girls at the headwaters of the Mississippi.

ATT4518004.jpg

ATT4518002.jpg

ATT4518003.jpg

Awesome pics! Sure wish I had a schedule that permitted me "to stay a few more days"! winkgrin Good for you and your girls Erik! We did the headwaters several years back and thought it was one of those neat historical/geographical trips well worth taking. It's one very cool place to visit.

I also have a kid who isn't a big fisherman. No matter how many times he's been out or how many cool fishing places we've taken him, he just isn't that into it. I guess I've just got to realize that I've done my part and if he just doesn't like it, I'll have to accept that. eekfrown

Thanks for sharing! cool

my kids will get mad if I don't go out everynite...esp my lil girl! Boys will sit for 10 hrs if I let em... maybe genetic?? JK.. gota have the fish biting to make em come back for more..that or go nite crawler hunting... Ah come on be a kid again:) Its memories they will always have! PS take lots of pictures...kids grow fast!