• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What Anchor?? Need Help

PTocko

In the market for a new anchor - I am somewhat confused by what style / type would be the best. Not advserse to spending a little money, just want it to work. I fish mainly Prior Lake (I live on the lake) so sand / mud / weeds for bottom type. Also fish a little up north - arrowhead region - so sand / rock / weed bottom. Looked at a Richtor but I just can't see that working on Prior - looks like it would be great on Mille Lacs though. 16.5 AC Navigator Tiller for the boat. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Paul

+1 for Richtor here as well. It's held me in 5mph current on rocks or in giant LOTW swells. Make sure you get the proper size and put a few feet of chain on it. They are a little pricey but I think they are worth the money and peace of mind.

If you anchor in the rocks, you may never see that richter again.

I have seen several anchors lost to the rocks of Voyageurs National Park (luckily, not mine...I'm afraid to drop anchor up there).

What type of anchor is best for rocky conditions (Kab, Rainy and Canada)?

Richtors are very popular, but your still gonna need a 28lb one.

Buy a Waterspike and you will not regret it. It is light weight (about 10 lbs) and it WILL hold your boat in any wind you will ever fish in. I have the middle size one with 3' of chain, and my wife can now work the anchor, and she's only 5'4".

I have the water spike and I like it very much. I have a 4 foot rubberized chain connected to it and then 100 foot of rope. It will hold in any wind that wont blow me out of the boat. The one nice thing about the water spike is it is very light but still very effective.

I have a waterspike to BUT you have to put it down correctly to get it to hold it needs those spikes to dig in..when they do it will hold very good I have 2095dcx yar craft 1860lbs boat alone so with motor gas misc in the boat i'm well over a ton i was just on winnie

and held in 20 plus wind coming from the sw and i was on the ne side it tokk a couple times to get it to bite but once it did i was set and the coool thing is you can drive up to it and it will pop right out

I know there are a lot of votes for the Richtor and I'm sure it would be great. That being said, I've narrowed it down to the digger and the water spike - I just see these as being better for me. Thanks for all of the suggestions. Paul