Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tgruenke

Clips

8 posts in this topic

I would like to know people's thoughts on using clips to attach lures. I mostly do it to avoid having to tie new lures on every time I switch. Do you think it hurts my chances of catching fish? I have caught bass and northerns with rapalas attached with a snap, but do you think I would have better success with just the line? I am open to comments.

Thanks

Hiya -

Use them all the time for crankbaits, but never for anything else. I take the split rings off the line tie of cranks and use a round bend duo-lock snap. Makes changing baits a lot easier and doesn't affect the bait at all.

For anything else though - well, excluding a ball bearing snap swivel for inline spinners - tie direct.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I do the same as RK. Use clips on Cranks(take the o ring off for the most part) and nothing else.

I always heard that it affects the lures action, but I read a "day on the water" in a bass fishing magazine and one of the pros uses a duo snap for all of his cranks and takes the o-ring off the cranks. He uses a larger snap because he felt it gives the lure better action than using a smaller one. I did this all of last year and didn't notice any difference. This works well with the limited number of rods that I have.

I don't use them. You can darn near re-tie in the amount of time it takes to open the snap and change that way. Just one more thing for the fish to see or weeds to hang up on

don't use them either. I just re-tie. Seems like the simpiler the better. Less things that could go wrong.