• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sweet Corn

Boiled in water then butter and salt or grilled to perfect caramelized crust then smothered in butter , if I'm lazy I leave the husk off witch is often. I really cant tell the difference.

Another one is Grilled wrapped in tin foul with butter and onions.

Going to have try adding cayane I always forget.

Actually the variety and how long ago it was picked are way more important than how you cook it.Sugars in sweet corn start turning to starch as soon as it is taken off the stalk.

It is always wise if you buy it at a stand to ask if it is a Super Sweet and how long ago it was picked.Sugar Enhanced Super Sweets have twice the sugar as regular corn does,while SH2 Super Sweets have 4 times as much sugar.

Most grocery store corn isn't fit for human consumption.Takes to long to get to you.And the method of cooking cannot change that since the sugar is long gone.Although anything tastes good with enough butter on it.

Just got done boiling 2 dozens ears with a turkey cooker setup at work for lunch today along with some rib-eyes on the grill. Very tasty corn and it came from the stand out in the parking lot of the Osseo meat market. grin

When I first met my wife I was making sweet corn and she asked 'what are we having with it' and I said nothing, we're having sweet corn, I was getting ready to boil the whole dozen. We still do that, pick up a bakers dozen and do the whole works in a boiling pot, thats all we have for supper. We it with butter - I also like pepper on mine, she likes salt. I also briefly cool it under cold water so you don't burn yourself.

As someone else stated, I think it important to eat it right away since the sugars in the corn start turning to starch the minute its picked. No sitting in the frig for 4-5 days!!!

May have to try some on the grill again, but how do you get it peeled without burning your fingers? Thats what drove me away from that method of cooking.

I used to grow corn in my garden, it was easy to grow and looked nice - but then it wasn't very good sometimes!!! I know it was probably the variety but nowadays I just goto a stand from one of the local farmers that ALWAYS has great corn. In season we try to have a meal of corn about once a week.

Has anyone heard, are they developing Roundup Ready sweetcorn??

Probably the only person to ever do this but the other night I made sweet corn. Boiled it for a couple of minutes and was getting ready to take it out of the pot when I noticed the butter dish was empty. Ok no big deal I'll grab a stick out of the freezer. None. Hmmmm. Now what. Well I thought Top of the Tator couldn't be too bad. Boy was I right. It doesn't beat butter and salt, but in a pinch it'll do.

We put canning jar rings in bottom of roaster then add 1/4 inch water, put cobs on rings then cover with lid and steam for 10 min. Seems to have more flavor than boiling in water. Use real butter and salt.(good for the heart)