• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sweet Corn

Same here for the sugar water and grill method. I have even mixed in some brown sugar as well. Got around 350 ears goin in the garden right now. 4 types, peaches and cream, kandy, golden jubalee, and a white sweet corn. First pick should be ready 2nd week of august and go to the middle of september. Cant wait.

sometimes I roast them over the back yard camp fire.

Chad

My wife does the sugar water thing but I personally do not like it. It is "sweet corn" isn't it? I have no proof of this but I think it tends to make it a little tough. Could just be my imagination. though. I like my corn two ways.

1. husked and boiled for NO MORE than 4 min max. remove from water right away, no letting it sit and the water. ick!

2. grilled in the husks. no soaking as this just creates steamed corn not roasted corn.

butter and salt.

or

olive oil and chopped garlic for a change of pace.

I've seen Mn grown corn in the grocery stores here.So it should be available along the road now.One of mine here is tassleing and will be ready to eat the first week of Aug.I have 3 varieties.....Mairi,Optimum,and Holiday.....all SH2 Super Sweets.....the only way to go for my family.Should have corn into Sept.

I usually wind up eating most of my home grown corn right out of the field - no cooking or butter required.

I like it that way too...also, no butter or salt if it is cooked. Just plain corn on the cob.

Also, is some areas, you cannot eat it directly on the cob, as only the pigs eat it this way. crazy

Or maybe that is another of them urban myths. grin

The local guy hasn't panned out yet. The wife picked up 1/2 dozen in Hutch on the way home tonight 2.50 for the half. Boiled, buttered and salted !! While she was eating the grilled vennie chops I polished off 4. Very good corn for the first of the year. Could of used a few more days to fill out a little more. But the first to the corner gets the best $$$$$

Doesn't anyone just 'nuke' it???!!! It's the most natural tasting sweetcorn I've ever had! Just husk it, stack about 6 cobs on a paper plate and set it for 1 minute per cob. So simple, so quick, so good!! Best part is, you don't have to steam up the kitchen boiling water or need to fire up the grill! Give it a try, it's sweetcorn made in it's own juices. Phred52

We eat quite a bit of corn on the cobb. My dad starts his in the greenhouse and transplants, he really babbies em but the final product is awesome. He staggers planting them so we have fresh corn over a long time...

We steam ours for about 8-10 minutes, rotating them in the pot half way through. Just an inch or less of water in the bottom of the pot works, with a lid. I think you dont loose as much flavor to the water compaired to boiling it. You can tell its done when the color of the ears darken a tad and it really starts to give off a good odor...

I'm with Pherd52 on this one. I microwave it except I wrap it in wax paper. I'll have to give it a try without the wax paper.

If I am already grilling then I throw it on off to the side with the husks on. I don't soak it before.

We eat quite a bit of corn on the cobb. My dad starts his in the greenhouse and transplants, he really babbies em but the final product is awesome. He staggers planting them so we have fresh corn over a long time...

We steam ours for about 8-10 minutes, rotating them in the pot half way through. Just an inch or less of water in the bottom of the pot works, with a lid. I think you dont loose as much flavor to the water compaired to boiling it. You can tell its done when the color of the ears darken a tad and it really starts to give off a good odor...

That's exactly what I do.....steam instead of boil.

I also start a flat and a half(90-100 plants) in the greenhouse.And plant them out when they are 10-12 inches high.

Just did some tonight. Husk and clean off silk, put in a pot, cover with water, turn on heat, bring to a boil. When it comes to a boil, turn off heat. Drain and eat. Keep any remainiong in the pot covered to stay hot.

Good sweet corn just needs to be heated up. (Even good when cold). Stays nice and crisp this way.

Fried corn.

Strip the corn off the cob. Simmer with half-n-half, butter, pre-cooked bacon bits, salt and pepper to taste until done. Add fresh cubed tomatoes shortly before serving to add a little red color. Adding them too early will overcook them. Could include a little onion as well.

The local guy hasn't panned out yet. The wife picked up 1/2 dozen in Hutch on the way home tonight 2.50 for the half. Boiled, buttered and salted !! While she was eating the grilled vennie chops I polished off 4. Very good corn for the first of the year. Could of used a few more days to fill out a little more. But the first to the corner gets the best $$$$$

Hey Huck. Do we know each other?????

I love sweet corn. When I want a quick snack I put an ear in the microwave husk and all microwave it for 2 minutes and let it sit for a minute or two. I always put cayenne pepper with butter. hmmmmmmmmmm gooooooooood!!!

I also cook it on the grill same method husk and all on the grill for 20-30 minutes turning frequently then again butter and cayenne....The pepper really brings out the corn flavor and adds a bit of a kick. I do not pre soak it. Now I am hungry for corn.