• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Extended Warranty for Motorcycles

Dragonsm

I am beginning to take my search a little more serious for a bike for my wife and I to take day trips on. One of the questions in regards to buying a new bike would be is it worth buying an extended warranty. Most of the metric bikes we have looked at have a 1 year warranty with the option to extend it out to 4 or so years for a pretty penny.

I just wanted to see what those of you who purchased new did in that situation? In one breath, the salesman will say that as long as you do general maintenance, the bikes should run forever...and in the next breath they are talking about the warranty.

I have never been one to buy an extended warranty for a vehicle and have yet to get bit. Does this follow suit when it comes to bikes also?

Steve

When i bought mine new, they offered at that certain time a free second year which was nice. Its all up too you really if you want to keep warranty on your bike, things break down or happen when they happen you know so its hard really to know if you should buy extra. The only thing i dont like about warranty is when you have it gotta be careful not to do to much stuff to your bike cause it could void the warranty, but thats if you take it to the dealer which gets exspensive, for i take mine to a local guy who does great work so less cost.

As a general rule, I don't buy purchased protection (aka extended warranty).

A few people make out good with them, but most pay in more than they collect out. Think about it. Who ever is offering it for sale wouldn't be if it was an overall losing deal for them.

Think of it like gambling. Many play and pay, very few hit the jackpot, and the house always wins in the end.

It's a c r a p shoot really. I you are unlucky enough to have to use it odds are it will pay for itself. Dealer repairs on anything these days are sky high! I roll mine in with the price of the bike so it is not coming "directly" out of my pocket. Have bought three and used one. The one time use so far covered the cost of two of them though. Kind of depends on the bike that you are buying and what you are willing to spend for a little piece of mind. Most of the time when I am far away from home on a ride I do no thave a couple grand to pay for something should it break. Take care and N Joy the Ride././Jimbo

My bad, not all Yamaha models, only the Royal Star Venture (like mine) has the 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty and 24 hour roadside assistance. Dealer should have been aware of it. Regards, Joe.

My bad, not all Yamaha models, only the Royal Star Venture (like mine) has the 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty and 24 hour roadside assistance. Dealer should have been aware of it. Regards, Joe.

I learned something today! I had never asked about a Royal Star so we never talked about it. That is a pretty darn good warranty though! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo