Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
troutmaster

Rabbit shot with arrow

72 posts in this topic

Quote:
Rabbit keeps on hopping after being shot with arrow

By Nolan Rosenkrans | nolan.rosenkrans@lee.net

Neither a flood nor an arrow could kill Don the Rabbit.

The former domesticated rabbit, adopted by a Stockton, Minn., neighborhood after it was released into the wild during the floods in 2007, was shot with an arrow earlier this month but survived. Travis Mikahl McElmury, 24, of Stockton was cited by the Winona County Sheriff’s Department for shooting Don.

A deputy responded to a Stockton residence July 3, where two people reported Don was in their backyard, sheriff’s investigator Kraig Glover said. The rabbit was shot through the back, with the arrow still sticking out, the deputy reported.

The rabbit got loose during the floods and has roamed the neighborhood since, becoming somewhat of a community pet, Glover said. The arrow was removed from Don, and he was successfully treated for his wounds, he said.

Another similar arrow was later found in an open lot, which deputies linked to McElmury, according to the incident report. A deputy interviewed McElmury, who admitted to shooting the rabbit, Glover said. McElmury told a deputy he had meant to kill the rabbit because it was making his dogs bark at 2 a.m. and was eating his wife’s plants, according to the police report.

McElmury was ticketed for misdemeanor mistreatment of an animal, which is punishable by up to 90 days in jail or a $700 fine. He declined to comment Monday.

Peta is going to eat this one up

An air rifle would have done the job, and been a LOT harder to pin on one person. Just ask my neighbor: over 100 rabbits in our residential neighborhood in the last year, and many thankful neighbors to boot. "Don" should have been put down.

we had one of them roaming around last year. They taste the same. wink.

Am I wrong? Is it not a small game violation to shoot a squirrel or rabbit out of season? Or does a nuisance or inner city/suburb rabbit and squirrel "hunting" out of season stand above the hunting reg's? Always wondered that and do not shoot or kill them on my own because I like and thought I was follows the laws??

I just figured if a deer is eating my garden, plants or (in my parents case) causing damage, I do not think I can just shoot the deer out of season and with out a proper lic. because it is a nuisance??? I know if I did that I would be considered a poacher.

Should a call to the T.I.P. line be in order if you see a neighbor killing small game out of season left and right? Or should a blind eye be turned? Good topic. smile

Thanks!

I would agree Shack, I believe they should be in season to shoot at them. They really don't bother me too much.

I thought I read last week there is no season on rabbits. Shoot away!

get all mine in the winter while the season is in place.While they sit there and munch all the landscape plants, tree trunks and what not. On my .33 arce 20 rabbits is way above the carring capactiy of the land. I practice QRM. When I was a kid in Wi you could take care small game on your property year round.

At least the pertans to use cheese heads,

"The owner or occupant of any land and members of their family* may, without a license and subject to all other restrictions except seasons, hunt or trap on their own property for beaver, fox, coyote, raccoon, woodchuck, rabbit, and squirrel year-round; however, hunting with a firearm is not allowed during the 24-hour period immediately preceding the regular gun deer season, and hunting is illegal for anyone under the age of 12"

Ya Sand they never give me much concerns until early this year (March) when a gang of rabbits devastated my entire landscaping scheme out in the front of my house. Kind of ruined the spring and summer frown

I figured on live trapping, but the damage was done. Sure thought about shooting them, but figured it was a game violation. Plus if my wife and kids found out, they would never let me down. One thing about something from up-north, but peter cotton tail from the back yard is another thing wink

Quote:
If all else fails, there's always hasenpfeffer (rabbit stew). There's no season for the troublesome rabbit. It can be taken anytime. Just don't shoot 'em in town, Elmer. Use a trap.

Can I flip flop again....?

There is a hunting season, but it seems you can trap them all year?

Last paragraph in the article.

Maybe a live trap and a release? I am not sure that article would constitute as an answer. You know maybe I should call down town grin This question has been bugging me for about 4 months grin

Well I called down town and they said if the "small game" is a nuisance and your are on your property, you can kill/dispose of the nuisance out of season and with out a lic.. I asked "So, if I have a pile of rabbits behind my garage and a CO comes by, I will not get in trouble?" she said as long as I can show where they are being a nuisance (damage) and followed local discharge laws, you will not get in trouble. She said big game nuisance requires contacting the local CO and obtaining a out of season nuisance tag before disposing of the big game.

Well now I know grin

McElmury will beet this misdemeanor rap in a heart beat wink Eating plants, causing dogs to bark I guess would constitute as a nuisance, as long as Don was arrowed down on his property. Not a good way to make friends in the neighborhood, but I guess he was with in the law, unless Don was a protected animal.

If a rabbit/beaver/deer/bear/wolf/etc is considered a nuisance, it can be "removed" legally and lawfully. If a person wants a rabbit removed humanely from their property, they have the option of calling the DNR or the local animal control agency, and proceed to get laughed at over the phone.

Am I shooting the rabbits? no, but I may be dropping off a box of pellets for my neighbor sometime soon. I could call TIP on him, but I won't, as I would rather call in on our other neighbor. This is the guy who, at one time, had 5 crusty old non-working boats in his driveway or on the street waiting for the eeeebay bids to come through (which they didn't). I'm talking less than 1/3rd acre lots in residential Bloomington, not in the sticks, just so you know.

As far as I can tell there is no bag limit or possession limit when it comes to small game nuisance disposal. Also it seems you can consume them also. McGurk your neighbor is with in the law. 1 or 1000, if you can prove a rabbit is a nuisance, you can take as many as you want.

I would call downtown for anyone self before shooting up the local small game, but I know when the rabbits start gnawing my 6' bridal wreaths down to less than 1' high next year before spring/late winter, leaving rabbit pellets in a 4' circle, 2" deep around the shrub, I am going to take action grin and know I am legal.

You guys remember before we had crow seasons in MN? It was illegal to shoot a crow, BUT you could shoot a crow if it was doing damage or ABOUT to do damage. That always cracked me up, when isn't a crow ABOUT to do damage somewhere somehow? wink

"They're coming right for us!!" smile

"McElmury was ticketed for misdemeanor mistreatment of an animal, which is punishable by up to 90 days in jail or a $700 fine. He declined to comment Monday"

A tame rabbit that got loose and has been living in the "wild" is a feral rabbit. I don't think we need that breeding with our Cotton Tails. Too bad it wasn't a clean kill, but it happens.

The DA didn't learn anything from the deer/snowmobile trial. This is not a mistreatment of animals. At most he might get "discharging a single projectile in the city".

Is it just me, or would a pellet gun+night goggles make for a fun suburban night?

Not to mention some tasty stew.

Be vewy vewy qwite laugh

That would be fun Dtro. Come to St. Paul, I have squirrels, rabits, possum and turkey roaming my hood!!

Is it just me, or would a pellet gun+night goggles make for a fun suburban night?

Not to mention some tasty stew.

Substitute a taped on Mini-Mag for the night goggles and it sounds like a few of my college dinner plans within the city limits of Mankato. wink

Mmmmmm rabbit, for those times when you can't even afford a Party Pizza. smile

Shack, I am glad you made that call. The answer you were given was the same I was told by a CO a few years ago. We had a major issue with muskrats chewing up things on our pontoon. He said if they were doing damage, we could get rid of them.

The only thing I would say is watch what you use to get rid of them. I wanted to get rid of some crows dive bombing my family. Called the PD and asked if I could get rid of the. They said yes but you can't use a weapon. Even a pellet gun is discharging a firearm in the city.

My guess would be tax payer insurance. Rabits are on their ten year cycle and man are they thick up north. I took my daughter out driving the other night and we must have counted a 100 of them. The grouse are thick too. Been see lots of them along with many deer. Made for an interesting drive. Getting me all fired up for the fall seasons.

Get a cat, you will have no nuiscance rodents, ours is a straight up killer, she just doesn't discriminate between Cardinals and squirrels. Plus the neighbor likes those little tree rats for some reason and constantly calls and complains when are cat is running around with one in her mouth..... I just tell her its like a free Nat Geo channel outside her door, she don't like me

Cats can get the job done but like you said they don't discriminate. Mine snuck out of the house one day and chased a deer out of the yard.