• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Valdez or the Kenai peninsula.

I'm headed up next Monday with a couple buddies that have never been to Alaska. I am trying to decide if I should go down to the Kenai or head to Valdez. I have heard the silver fishing is good in Valdez this time of the year. My goal is to get them into some really good fishing if possible. I will have my dads' 15' inflatable boat and his truck with a camper. I know more about fishing the Kenai peninsula and haven't ever fished Valdez. Just curious if anyone has any opinions on where to go at this time of the year (last week of July). I'm open to other suggestions as well. I'm kind of leaning towards Valdez just because I think the scenery will be the best in that direction.

What a decision to have to make! I LOVE ALASKA!!!

Right now you should get into the big run of Reds on the Kenai. that peaks around late July to early August, most years. The silvers will still be a ways out in the bay at Valdez as they won't be close in to the harbor until late August into Sept. I've been there in mid-Sept. and they were thick in town. The drive to Valdez is fantastic and great scenary along with fewer people. I would do some internet searching or make some calls to see how far out the silvers will be when you get there.

I can't even imagine having the last week of July in AK and NOT going to the KP! The 2nd run reds, the peak of the Kenai Kings, what more could you ask for? Given of course that you're staying on the road system. I'd say KP all the way:)

Yeah it's sounding like the Kenai is going to be the ticket. I talked to my dad and he just got back from fishing hidden creek which is right next to where the Kenai river dumps into Skilak Lake. There were still no reds up that far yet so hopefully they will make it up there when we are around. I like fishing the lower Kenai as well but it is just going to come down to finding out where the fish are at and getting there. We will be staying on the road system while my buddies are up. Then after that I'm staying two more weeks and it's wherever we can fly to in my dads' little two seat airplane. This will be the first time he has had it all finished being rebuilt while I'm up there so I am excited to say the least! Traveler what is your experience with fishing off of the road system? Do you have any suggestions for a fly in spot? I'm sure my dad will have plenty of ideas for where to go but it never hurts to hear other ideas.

Thanks a lot for the responses guys.

Sherpa; not as much as I'd like, unfortunatly. I've flown over to the Nushagak, great trip, but thats like a 2 hour flight over some very rugged country, not sure if you guys are up for that or not. And I think you'll be past the peak for the kings over there anyway. Other than that, I've only flown accross to the Chuit, which is a great little creek that should be full of silvers at that time, but they've been having access issues with the native corp. that owns most of the property and I don't know how it would work with your own plane. We landed at the native airstrip and used thier van transport, via our guide, maybe thats an option. Nice fly fishing creek for silvers:)

I think those are both within our reach. The Nushagak would be fun, I like the Bristol Bay area a lot. We used to go up the Naknek River from King Salmon for a week every summer. I don't see that distance being much of a problem, he has already flown to Nome and back twice from just outside of Anchorage. I looked up the Chuit too, it's not to far away at all. I will definitely run that one past him to see if he knows about getting access over there. I would love to get a salmon on a fly rod this year. Last year on the Anchor River people around us were catching way more fish with fly rods than everyone else. The one fly rod we had broke as my dad was putting it together. Anyways, thanks again for the ideas Traveler.

I just got back from Alaska, We fished Togiak for Kings it was great the run wasn't full swing yet most we caught were jacks. Only two females. so we had to go and fish reds for eggs man they are fun when they Bite? Lots and lots of reds and chums, Rainbow fishing was awesome.

Was in girdwood for awhile too fished halibut did great. Pinks were running in glacier creek thick. They would bite like crazy too.