• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

wheel house frame

green_sleeper

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to use on the frame to stop it from rusting. I have been touching it up with paint every year but with all the prep work that gets to be a hassle. I wanted to get it sprayed with line x or rhino but with the house on the frame I cant find anyone to do this. I woundered how well herculiner or something like this would work. Anyone have any ideas?

you could buy the do it yourself gallon of liner! if prepped right it can last a long time ive had it on the exterior bottom of my duck boat going on four years and it has lasted through gravel,sand trees, and being slid in and out of the box of the truck three seasons, and its only 50 for the gallon i think!

EK

check with your auto store 3M has an undercoating that comes in quarts you buy a gun to apply it, it's called shutz i think, painted my grain truck box bottom then covered it with this stuff going on 5 years of hauling and just noticing it needs to be reshot again above the wheels,I shot my wifes explorer running boards with this and they look great and are standing up fine now, planning on painting my fish house underfloor insulating then undercoating with this stuff before I get on the ice this year

I have built 3 wheel houses in the last 10 years. The first two I did I used spray on bed liner on the frame and have not been happy with the results 2-3 years later. The problem is if you dont get the metal perfectly clean w/acetone or thinners over time it will start to lift off the frame. The last one I have built I used a all in one self etching paint that is hard as the bed liner spray and seems to bond alot better to the frame. It cost a bit more like 75$ a gallon but it does go along way. The thing to keep in mind is if you use the bed liner and it does start lifting, now you have a mess. You will have to scrape it off and paint over the bad spots. and trust me, once it starts to lift its only a matter of time befoer you are laying on your back doing it again. I normally hit my frame once a year for good measure. Also if you wanted to go the powder coat method, depending on how big your frame is you need to find a place that has a oven big enuf to bake it on. Good luck.

POR15 is a primer that is made to paint over rust. Being in auto body for 13 years now, it's the only thing that I've used that really works on rust. It can be brushed on and it is very hard when it drys so it will take on rock chips very well. It will fade out in the sun so a topcoat paint will be needed if you don't want fade. POR15 also sells a very hard paint to go over it also.

If you want a good bed liner to go over the POR15 get UPOL, Rapture Liner you can get it from auto parts stores like NAPA. You will need a compressor and a special gun for it but the gun is only around $20.00 and sometimes free with the kit.

Almost nothing will stick to bear metal. A primer must be used first.