• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Log Home Questions

Doop

Hello guys,

I have a question or questions I guess. We may be buying a lot within the year....what are the cost comparisons to putting up a log home as compared to building a regular 2 story 4 bdrm home....both about 2300 sq. feet?

I know you buy the log home in a kit but it's some assembly required...lol. Anyone have any thoughts?

To me there is nothing like the look and feel of a Log cabin. I have several friends that have them and I love Em all.

That being said there are many draw backs to owning a Log Home/Cabin!

There is substantially more maintenance needed along with higher maintenance cost. Insurance is a lot higher also due to insane repair cost when it comes to Log Cabins.

Resale is not great with Log homes/Cabins along with higher mortgage rates. They cost more to heat if you're going to do that!

That being said It's not my money so I say go for it you'll love the Log Home!

I have also always wanted a log home and have done a lot of research on the subject. IMHO the upkeep and problems with a log home are not worth it for the look.

1. Sealing of exterior wood every few years.

2. Chinking logs every few years. Chinking has come a long way in the last 10 years, but is not forever.

3. Dust on interior of logs needs to be cleaned. All surfaces tend to collect dust, and even if you are not a neat freak, it gets gross a few times a year.

4. Logs continue to settle over the years. Windows can break, doors come out of alignment, etc. Gaps and contraction areas need to be factored in all these areas, and are sometimes not enough.

Log homes are beautiful, and I would love one, but the negatives offset the positives.

I hope to be making the same decision within 6 or 7 years. I've always wanted a log home, and may make the plunge. Certainly the upkeep can be different and is usually higher.

-Log siding or full log will both require exterior stain maintenance. Much less maintenance with vinyl, hardiboard, etc.

-Interior dusting can be eliminated if you get a milled D-log profile where the inside walls are vertically flat.

-Chinking is only required with some log kits. Many companies will match the top and bottom with some type of inside groove, insulation, etc. They do not require chinking

-Settling will happen with log homes, but the good builders properly account for it. Usually there is a process where you tighten log screws every so often, especially during the first 3 years. Windows and doors require a gap above to account for settling. Kitchen installations can also be challenging.

-Cost to heat/cool can be better, similar, or worse than a timber frame home. Usually dependent on log diameter, sealing, etc. In the fall and spring, the thermal mass of logs can be a benefit as they stay warm at night from the heat they gained during the day and vice versa.

-I could see resale being much lower for log homes that have problems. A well built log home, especially the hand crafted ones (not milled logs) should demand a premium over timber frame at time of sale. (Just take a look at some real estate listings)

-Cost from what I've seen generally goes timber frame, milled or log kits, then hand crafted logs from lowest to highest.

Good luck and let us know which you decide to go with. Log sided timber frame homes are a great alternative that may be worth checking out.

I believe Log Homes run about 20-30% more per sq ft than 'standard' homes, last time I looked into it. But they are supposed to be more energy efficient.

I love log homes, but the cost and maintenance would probably cause me to look towards standard home, with exterior log siding and interior tongue and groove.

Just build a Half Log Home, Looks like a Log home From the exterior but inside you have walls just like a standard home. If you want to see logs on the inside put half logs on the inside. Alot of Log home builders have a half log option.

I've plumbed a couple of log homes and the home owners hadn't really planned on the plumbing part of it. Being unable to drill down an exterior wall for vent pipes made them have to change their layour a little bit. You may have to be flexible to some degree on placements of light fixtures and plumbing.

IMG_7933_1.jpg

We had this home built and moved in the end of Feb. 08'. The builders had to come back a couple times for some minor issues, but overall we are very pleased.

The energy efficiency is great. R-59 roof and R-26 tongue and groove D-log walls. However, it could be much better in the summer with some window coverings but that kind of defeats the purpose of the large windows.

If you go with a kiln dried log company, you don't have to worry about jacking and screwing later on because there is virtually no settling.

The cost for this area was 5%-7% higher vs. a stick built home of the same square footage.

Staining the exterior was a pain but we got what we wanted and I wouldn't trade it for anything.