• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broadheads

I've shot montecs for years and never had a good reason to reconsider. That said, I bought a pack of strykers about a week ago. Not sure what I'll end up using, but I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I'm a believer in G5 products. Quality, reliability, and durability at it's finest. Haven't tried the tekans but I've never even tried an expandable.

they don't open any more differently, they just have a smaller cutting diameter so it takes less kinetic energy to get good penetration. seems to me like more bow hunters should be using these rather than the two inch. according to the regs, in mn you are not allowed to use a mechanical broadhead that at any point upon deployment can the cutting diameter exceed 2 inches. rages advertizes they hyper-extend to 2.5 inches. sounds like they are illegal here in the first place.

i know we have talked about this topic before, but its right there in the regs!

I am a true believer in shot placement no matter what broadhead you are using, if you hit behind the shoulder the deer is dead, with that being said I shoot muzzy 3 blade and not one problem but my dad uses the tekan and I was very impressed last year with his entry holes and all three deer he shot went less then 30 yards, Im thinking of trying the rage but dont know yet

I've been thinking about trying the rage as well. I just don't like hearing so much about penetration issues.

If I go with a mechanical I think it's going to be Grim Reapers or Wasp Jakhammers.

I just dont trust any broadhead that opens from the front, I have tried a couple different ones and hated all of them, I tried a spitfire a few years back and hit a buck right behind the shoulder and only got about 3 inches of penetration, I got the deer but it was lucky. I wish they would bring back the bloodtrailer broadhead that thing was lethal.

New to bowhunting last year so I kept it simple and went with G5 Striker 100gr. Was impressed with sharpness out of the package and all the blades locked in solid (no wobble or wiggle) when installed. Flew perfect out to 40yds with no adjustment needed. Took my first deer at 20yds. Never heard the arrow hit the deer but I hear it hit the ground. Pass through and buried 6-7" in ground. Don't shoot anything fancy, '05 Diamond Rapture set at 61 lbs (max). Ferrule is perfect still and even the blades weren't bad but will be replaced. Watched the deer fall over 20yds from my stand so no tracking required. Decent blood trail if I had to track. Going to try the Mag 1.5" blades in my 100gr ferrules. But I do have to admit the enterence hole didn't look like any of the pics I see of the rage (some of those are nuts) but it was affective.

Been shooting Rocky Ultimate 3 blade 1.5" with Chisel tips for years, won't let fly with anything else. These are real BAD broadheads. They don't deflect on ribs and explode through bone. Hold them up to these little cut on impact heads on light carbon arrows, there's just no comparison to the big strong bone splitting head on a heavy aluminum arrow. Penetration, not a problem. Clean through deer and elk.

I've been thinking about trying the rage as well. I just don't like hearing so much about penetration issues.

If I go with a mechanical I think it's going to be Grim Reapers or Wasp Jakhammers.

koonie I would give the Rage a try, I've taken 5-6 deer with them and have had nothing but complete pass throughs and huge blood trails. I pull 60lbs and have no problem breaking ribs on the way in and on the way out. Remember a broadhead is only as good as the guy shooting it.

I have found over the years that as soon as a broadhead becomes popular you start to see negative reports about it. I belive these heads are getting a bad rap because a lot of borderline bow hunters take poor or low percentage shots and don't get their deer, next thing you kow they are telling everyone they are junk, but that is not the case.

my buddies are die-hard big fat aluminum guys too. they say you just wound deer with carbon arrows. they still wound deer with aluminum arrows however. its all about shot placement. what you sacrifice in weight, others, like myself, gain in arrow speed. its not that a heavy arrow equals passthroughs, its a properly placed shot with an arrow with enough kinetic energy to do the job.

bow companies boast their arrow speed as a method of sales. i know for a fact they aren't tested with big fatty aluminum arrows. not only are they heavier, but their fatter, which also slows them down, with air drag

Tough to beat a hot knife through butter! The last less than perfect shot I made blew bone to deep within the deer's chest cavity. The bow makers don't talk about impact and penetration, that's where the weight comes in. A pass through on elk is a near must and those light carbons don't do it. Even light heads get used to improve penetration and may really reduce the effectiveness further. I do agree nothing beats a well placed shot. I've never had a better trophy than an elk heart with perfect Y cut clean through. Can't tell you how many quartered elk I've passed on.

Nothing wrong with heavy with a modern bow they still go mighty fast ...and carry some punch.

I completely agree if you are hunting elk you need a heavier setup, but with todays modern bows and razor sharp broadheads its not needed. I'm not really a speed freak but I do like a nice flat shooting bow with a nice smooth draw.

some days the more I read the more I wonder it is all about kinetic energy just like a gun you can use a little bullet thats really fast out the barrel but has no weight down range to hit your target with some punch no differnt with a arrow. as for those who missed the bus they make difernt wieghted carbons just like they do aluminum..(to be honest I didnt even know that they still made aluminum arrows) just kidding... anytime you use a mechanical head you lose energy when it opens dont care what type style color or size ALL of them require energy to open period.. I shot 100 grain jack hammers for about 10 years last year I decided to give the rage a try I had only heard great things. I shot three deer and lost one respectuble buck I was not at all impressed poor penetration to say the least. I am shooting 703 with a 450 grain arrow more than enough for white tails. plus the rage has had a lot of issues with sharpness not worth the price I am going back to jack hammers have always blown rite through never a problem. plus twice I have gone through the shoulder bone. I dont know that I will ever shoot another head that does not have a chisell point.just my expeirence.

I currently have 4 different types of mechanical heads and 1 fixed blade. Wasp Jak-Hammer SST, Rocky Mountain Extreme(discontinued), Rocket Sidewinder, Rocky Mountain Snyper 3 blade, and last but not least Slick Tricks.

I've taken at least one deer with all but the Snyper 3 blade. All of them performed well. I was a long time Muzzy fan and had a hard time giving them up, but I wanted to get into a mechanical.

I think my favorite is the Rocky Mountain Extreme, but unfortunately they have been discontinued. The Rocket Sidewinder was a close second. The last couple deer I've taken have been with the Slick Trick and I have been very impressed with them. They really have me thinking about sticking with a fixed blade.

I had great luck on deer - bear and moose with thunderheads for many years...when they came along with the spitfire expandables, I decided to give them a try and I haven't lost a deer or bear with them in the last 6 years...as to speed, I think it's overated for hunting...a deer can drop a full body width in less than a tenth of a second....at 300 feet per second, it takes your arrow about 2 tenths of a second to travel 20 yards...(assuming it's still that fast at 20 yards), Has anyone ever set up thier conograph at 20 or 30 yards to see how much speed they actually have left?