Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Katman

My new Oakleys are here but are they making my eye bad?

11 posts in this topic

I've been using my igoggles from Gander Mountain for 2 years with no problems. I decided to upgrade and purchase some fancy Oakley Flak Jacks with light grey polarized lense. I've never had a problem with my igoggles but for some reason, when I wear the Oakleys all day.... regargless of being on the water or just strolling through the park, my eyes seem to be very strained. Even when I put on the glasses, my eyes seem to not feel like I can totally focus completely. I can definitely clear thorough glare and stuff but it jsut doesn't feel easy on my eyes after some wear. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? For some reason, the cheap 29.99 glasses I had didn't do that to my eyes. I can wear them all day with no problems with strain or focus problems. But if I wear the Oakleys, they seem to make my vision a bit uncomfortable. Is the polarization different? Are my eyes just not use to the lenses? I've been wearing them for a few outings for about a 2 months now. They are not Rx lenses and I don't need any glasses or contacts. Should I consult my doctor? There doesn't seem to be any distortion in the lense. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

First off, are they as dark as your other lenses? Many Oakley glasses are available in a wide array of lens colors but most retailers only one or two.

They are lighter. Should I get a darker set of lense?

that could be it? hard to say. I have not had that happen. You sure it just want that day?

If the lens is lighter in color than what you are used to more sunlight is getting to your eyes. That could be the problem. I suggest going to Oakleys HSOforum and take a look at what colors are available and what each color does. Not all lenses are good for all things, kind of like fishing rods.

My suggestion would be if your eyes are uncomfortable wearing those glasses, stop wearing those glasses. Wear what is comfortable to your eyes. Who cares if the oakleys are an "upgrade"(price only), they are not protecting your eyes properly, your eyes should not be strainted by any eye wear. Go back to your igoggles if you haven't had problems.

I used to have a pair a oakley half-jackets, and I had the same problem. The reason for the headache is because of the bottom of the lenses being cut off with no distinct barrier between where the lens is, and is not. In my case, sometimes I would look down where the lens stopped and it would cause my eyes to tire, and lead to a headache. I hope this makes sense, and if you are experiencing the same problem that I had, return your oakley's for another pair without the cutoff style lenses. In my case I bought a pair of gascan's and couldn't be happier.

that makes sense. Thanks! I'm going to try my older pair again for a bit and see if things change. If it does.. I may have to invest in another set.

i have the same pair never have had a problem with them did u try the 2 sets of nose pads that come with them, i took mine off thay fit closer to your face it will block out more light.

I have the Fire Iridium Polarized lenses that are the XLJ shape. The shape of these lenses is a little bigger and that seems to help out cover more of my eye socket and my cheek keeping the light out of my eyes. The standard lenses are quite small on Half Jackets. I also have a pair of Costa del Mar Wave Killers and those still have the upper hand over the Oakleys.