• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electric Ice Auger

Brade4

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have yet to cut with my Nils Bit on my Ice Gator, but I can tell you with both a Jiffy bit and a Strike Master Bit, 30+ inches of ice like butter in mid summer!!!! I can only imagine what my new Nils bit will do to ice on the Ice Gator?????

Electric motors have great torque. I am sure that is a major reason they are good for cutting ice. Now that battery tech is getting better, its only a matter of time until these become more common.

I agree with the electric future.

Just wait until a heavy duty Lithium Ion pack hits the market.

Some of these new cordless drills will tear your arm off and hold a charge for a very long time.

Eventually you'll just pop on a new battery pack if your's gets low, just like a drill/power tool. The new Lion ones are much less susceptible to hot/cold. Plus they currently have double the capacity of existing batteries, and they keep making them better.

Especially good if you were in a Perm!

I have owened a electric sm auger for one season now and I would not go back to gas again.But I would say if you plan on drilling more than 20 holes a day it might not be what you want. I usually drilled any where from 16 to 18 holes 12 inches to 20 inches before I would take it home to charge. Always kept auger in the house so it got cold when not being used.

I have owened a electric sm auger for one season now and I would not go back to gas again.But I would say if you plan on drilling more than 20 holes a day it might not be what you want. I usually drilled any where from 16 to 18 holes 12 inches to 20 inches before I would take it home to charge. Always kept auger in the house so it got cold when not being used.

My Ice gator will drill considerably more than 20 holes.

How do you refill gas if you run out in the middle of now where? Either way you're up a creek.

I always carry a extra can of gas in the box on my 4-wheeler. JUst like an extra flasker battery or anything else that may need repair.

One can never tell what may need some repair.

I have owned an icegator since they came out on the market and have had 0 (ZERO) problems and it has never let me down I rutinely at the end of the year must drill 42" of ice and it has done it with no problem was close one time till I got an extention. The 8" icegator will drill hole faster than a gas from start to finish no clutch to screw up just let off the button instant stopping much safer to use for me with my bad leg no gas on your hands no gas to go bad no oil to mix or spill no fumes in the shack and with the adapter you can also hook it to your snowmobile 4 wheeler battery or the battery in your ice shack 3rd year on the same batteries too!(gotta get me one of those adapters!) Company president called and said they might have a bad batch of batteries last year sent me new ones I havent even used the new batteries as the older ones were fine! so I have spares been using them for the dvd player lol customer service is the best you can get I use a 8" lazer as a bit The only bad part about icegator is they made it so good I will never have to get another one again! PS one weekend trip using an 8"nils produced over 70 holes thru 16 - 20" of ice with alot of power to spare!