• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Are You Hooked?

Buck_Story

Share the oddest place that you have been hooked by another fisherman.

If you have never been hooked, share the weirdest thing that YOU have hooked. (i.e. The Neighbors Cat)

I'll start with my "I'm Hooked Story"

I was hooked: In the middle of my right ear

I was hooked by: My stupid step sister who cant fish

I was Unhooked how: My Doctor had to push the rest of the hook through until the barb could be cut off! Man that hurt!

I have hooked a duck and a loon.

I was not hooked, but had a 1/2oz tungsten weight hit me square in my knuckle on a missed hookset on a flip by guy in back of boat.

Ooh that had to hurt!

I have always been afraid of hooking a loon! I guess I never even thought a duck would even bother...

i have never been badly hooked; just my fingers getting out lures

i caught a sea gul in canada and i caught some panny hose in arkansa; i have also caught a log with a bunch of jigs hooked to it.

i was also casting one day and caught a dragon fly by its wing. while i was trying to get him off he bit me and i pulled backed and hooked my finger.

Muskie opener this year my buddy had a backlash and it flew back and wrapped around my neck but no hookset.

Last summer hooked a snapping turtle in the neck with a bucktail

That was a close one, your lucky, and so is your buddy...That would have put a damper on the opener!

Originally Posted By: yopaulypinkfloyd
Muskie opener this year my buddy had a backlash and it flew back and wrapped around my neck but no hookset.

Last summer hooked a snapping turtle in the neck with a bucktail

That was a close one, your lucky, and so is your buddy...That would have put a damper on the opener!

Ya I had my back to him, heard him curse about the backlash and second later felt something on my neck which made me jump, which freaked him out more, then we realized what happened and both just laughed

when i was about 8. i had 1 rod it was an ultralight pannie rod. i used it for all baits. i was showing my buddy a super cast i called it with a big spinnerbait. flung it back so hard the hook got me in the side of the head. instead of super cast should been called super dumb kid.

I have hooked a duck and a loon.

I was not hooked, but had a 1/2oz tungsten weight hit me square in my knuckle on a missed hookset on a flip by guy in back of boat.

I've never hooked a loon but I've watched one follow a muskie bait for about 100 feet. Those things can move, the 5.1 gear ratio on the bigger reel almost wasn't enough...

Ok, I have 2 good stories, however, I have been hooked about once a year it seems. At least 12 times in my life.

I was hooked=Square in the middle of my forehead.

I was hooked by=Myself

I was unhooked=Hours later when my mom came to pick me up. She had dropped me off at the lake, it was a 4/0 worm hook, the fish jumped just as I was about to lip the bass and the hook went into my forehead, in and out. I bit the line off and continued to fish with the 4/0 hung in my forehead. She used a bolt cutter to cut the barb off and the hook then came off easy.

#2 only happened 2 years ago...

I was hooked=IN the left butt cheek.

I was hooked by=again, myself.

It was removed by=My wife.. I was cleaning out the boat in the spring before season opened. And sat on a crank bait. One hook went through the seat of my boat, the other through my butt. I was stuck, I had to use my cell phone to call my wife inside the house.

Ok, I lied,.. Story #3...

I was hooked=In my right fore arm..

I was hooked by... Ok.. myself again!

Hook was removed by= A friend, but only after he passed out. He saw the hook in my arm, and next thing I know he is laying in the bottom of the boat. He then did the line trick quite well and we continued to fish...

I have yet to burry a hook past the barb, THIS YEAR(knock on wood).

Ok, I have 2 good stories, however, I have been hooked about once a year it seems. At least 12 times in my life.

I was hooked=Square in the middle of my forehead.

I was hooked by=Myself

I was unhooked=Hours later when my mom came to pick me up. She had dropped me off at the lake, it was a 4/0 worm hook, the fish jumped just as I was about to lip the bass and the hook went into my forehead, in and out. I bit the line off and continued to fish with the 4/0 hung in my forehead. She used a bolt cutter to cut the barb off and the hook then came off easy.

#2 only happened 2 years ago...

I was hooked=IN the left butt cheek.

I was hooked by=again, myself.

It was removed by=My wife.. I was cleaning out the boat in the spring before season opened. And sat on a crank bait. One hook went through the seat of my boat, the other through my butt. I was stuck, I had to use my cell phone to call my wife inside the house.

Ok, I lied,.. Story #3...

I was hooked=In my right fore arm..

I was hooked by... Ok.. myself again!

Hook was removed by= A friend, but only after he passed out. He saw the hook in my arm, and next thing I know he is laying in the bottom of the boat. He then did the line trick quite well and we continued to fish...

I have yet to burry a hook past the barb, THIS YEAR(knock on wood).

I heard them cranks can bite you in the butt wink

When I was a kid we use to walk to this creek about a mile and half behind the house. Buddy and myself with a can of corn and two poles with plain hooks. He casted (for some unknown reason) and hooked me in the right knee. He pulled hard enough that it went under the cap and pulled itself up into the kneecap. Worse part, no phone, no ride, had to walk home. Ate the corn rather than used if for bait. Dad took pair of needle nose and pulled it out, then put a stitch in (for good measure) as it had cut me.

Sent me to doc for tetanus shot and doc looked at it told me to tell dad not to use thread anymore and gave me 2 suture sets to give him. Have to say he used them both over time.

Like Cecil, I had an errant hookset leave the imprint of an All-Terrain flipping jig in my knuckle a couple weeks ago. You could visibly see the dots on knuckle that mark the head of one of those jigs.

I've buried the barb on ice fishing jigs a bunch of times, but never a big hooks. My most painful hit-by-a-lure story was from 20+ years ago. My buddy managed to engage his reel while casting and brutalized my forarm with 2oz. buck tail. I have never had such a painful bruise nor have I had one last that long. My whole body went numb when I got hit by that one.

Can't think of any good getting hooked stories bass fishing. But when I was a kid I did drop a bass Dorsal fin down on my bare foot. After a week of limbing around found out that part of one of the spin had broke off in my foot and become infected. Man that hurt digging that out with a fillet knife.

Had a 44" muskie on the front treble of a rattle-trap with 2 hooks on the back treble in 2 fingers on my hand. Screamed like a little girl when he did another headshake.

I would highly discourage this.

A few stories...

1. I hooked a snapper last week with a jig worm

2. I hooked a drake mallard out of the sky when I was like 12... totally by accident of course.

3. I was cat fishing on the croix a few years back and thought I tied into a good one. That was until a stupid beaver hauled my rig to shore and ran down the bank. Turns out beavers can pull pretty good.

Hiya -

3 seagulls and a loon for me. Seagulls weren't too bad, but unhooking the loon - a buddy and I were muskie fishing and the thing grabbed a bucktail. The fact that there were two complete sets of eyes in the boat by the time we got the loon unhooked and on its way amazes me to this day. That was one UNHAPPY bird...

Muskie fishing as much as I have, I've seen some horrible stuff with hooks in various body parts. Like a guy with two barbs of a 5/0 buried in the back of his hand, and the other hook on the bait still stuck in a 30-pounder doing barrel rolls at the side of the boat. Lucky for him the bait actually broke, but it was gruesome...

Gotten myself a few times too.

Had the back hook of a big Bagley crankbait go into my forearm, and had to use a filet knife to cut my skin so I could push the barb through and cut it off (your skin is amazingly tough and elastic...I was twisting on the hook with a pliers and couldn't push it through. Really felt wonderful.

When I was guiding in Alaska I had a client drill me right in the back of the head with a Mepps Giant Killer. *CLANG* - knocked me goofy for a minute. Don't know if it was the hook or the blade/body, but it laid me open. Out in the middle nowhere, so our camp cook - a good old boy from Eagle Lake, Texas - laid me face down on the kitchen table and stitched it up. Right before he started in I asked him if he knew what he was doing. His exact words were "S***, man. I can't even sew on a button. Hold still..." Still have the scar...

Had a guy faint on me too - got hooked with a little bass crankbait right in the thumb, turned to show the guy I was with...took one look, his eyes got big, rolled back in his head, and...down goes Frasier. Had the hook out by the time he came around, and actually felt kinda bad about it.

Here are the two worst stories I've ever heard though...

A guy I know is from Arizona, and fished stripers on Lake Mead and lake Powell when he wasn't fishing bass tournaments. He was out alone on weekday morning, and had run about 40 miles from the ramp to find some fish. He was throwing a big, heavy 5" chugger to some fish busting bait. You have to launch the things a mile because the water's so clear you can't get close to them. So he fished his chugger through the school and was just cranking it in like mad to make another cast. 10 feet from the boat, a big striper drilled it. It surprised him so badly - they never come near the boat - that he set the hook on instinct, and set the hook UP. The hooks caught just long enough to load the rod, then popped out, and the bait came right at his head. He ducked and turned his head to the side, and the back hook hooked him right in the corner of the mouth. That's bad enough, but the bait had enough momentum to swing around and hook the front hook in his back right below his neck. So there he is, 40 miles from the truck, with his head pinned around behind him and two hooks in his head. he had to drive almost all the way back to the ramp before he found someone who could help him...

Story # 2 is a Minnesota guy. I'm sure some of you know him but I won't mention his name... When he was 12 he was pre-fishing for a tournament with his dad, tossing Texas-rigged worms to docks. He made a cast and snagged the carpet on a dock. Of course, as soon as he does that the homeowner starts coming down to chew them out fir fishing around his dock, so his dad told him to just break the line so they could get out of there. He had 12# mono on and had it stretched almost to the breaking point when the hook popped free. The rig came rocketing back at him, and he put his hand up to cover his face. The bullet sinker went into the back of his hand like - well, like a bullet. When he told me this story, he turned his hand over and showed me the scar on his palm where the surgeon took the sinker out... Owie...

Dangerous, this fishing stuff smile

cheers,

Rob Kimm

Not even going to go there. Last time I had this conversation was at the bar the night before a tournament and you guessed it, slimer put a lipless right through my thumb. The worse part was after pulling it out and laying on the deck until my world stopped spinning I noticed a little piece of weed sticking out of the hole so I grabbed it with my teeth and pulled it out...................... Yep it was a nerve! Still have no feeling in the top of my thumb.

Last year i hooked my buddy on the back swing with an x-rap. It got him right in the back of his head and went through his hat too so it was extra tough to work with! He swore revenge but so far hasnt gotten any! Lol.

I never hooked the neighbors cat but my brothers and I did go through a phase where we felt the need to go fish for pocket gophers at the neighborhood park in Fargo. We would lay down a lasoo around their hole and feed out 100' of line or so, and then sit down and wait for them to pop up thier little heads; when they did we'd set the hook and give'em everything we had. I bet they fight as good as a 5lb bass. Every once in a while one would go kamakazze(sp?) and charge us. All the fun ended one night when a tree hugger and his girlfriend threatened to strangle our little redneck arsess if they ever saw us doing it again. Oh how this brings back memories. I think I'll have to teach my 4 year old how to gopherfish next year.

Not even going to go there. Last time I had this conversation was at the bar the night before a tournament and you guessed it, slimer put a lipless right through my thumb. The worse part was after pulling it out and laying on the deck until my world stopped spinning I noticed a little piece of weed sticking out of the hole so I grabbed it with my teeth and pulled it out...................... Yep it was a nerve! Still have no feeling in the top of my thumb.

Thanks, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit sick