• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sonocaddie XV2

jigging-matt

Just wondering if anyone has one of these. I have been in the market for a Golf GPS and after doing quite a bit of research and comparisons, these seem like a pretty good deal. Looked at Sky Caddie and Garmin. Both seem nice, but hate the fact that you have to pay every year. The Sonocaddie you don't have to pay a membership fee, and I was checking the courses that I would play/like to play, and all of them are there. Plus if you step down one model it is only a $29.97 fee once, not a yearly fee. Would like to hear any feedback of someone that has one of these. Yes I have tried the skycaddie and liked it, just don't like the yearly fee attached to it. Thanks.

Matt ---

Did you mean the XV2? If so, it's a great unit. I'm also in the market for one. A buddy has one -- very functional, but not fancy. B/W, and has all the basic features one needs/wants. Distance measurement, yardage to green (front, middle and back), and scorecard. I believe it allows up to 10 courses to be downloaded at a time. Also, it take AA batteries, which I like versus the ni-cad rechargeable, so if your batteries die, you don't need to charge it, just replace the batteries and you're good to go.

I would recommend checking Sonocaddie's HSOforum and searching the available courses in your area to be sure they have the course/courses you want and play. Seems they have a real good MN selection. Of all the courses I play, I've only found one (Pine Ridge, Motley) that isn't available.

It clips onto your bag and 'walks along with you'...meaning yardage is automatically calculated as you walk/move down the fairway. After you record your score, it also automatically moves the the next hole. Very user-friendly.

And yes -- big bonus that there's no annual fee. I know the big auction site has several for $219/free shipping at any given time.

Let us know if you make the move and how you like it --- as soon as I can get a green light, I'll have one too!

Eckie, thanks I did mean the XV2. Was at work when I sent it out and couldn't remember the letter. Glad to hear that you like it. I did check on their webpage and all of the courses that I play are listed, and the ones that I want to play are also listed. Seems like a good deal. Have also been watching the big auction site, but wanted some feedback on them first. Thanks again for all the info, might just have to pull the trigger and make the purchase.

They also calculate yardages to hazards as well as allow you to customize the settings.

I forgot to mention drawbacks -- I asked my buddy what he didn't like -- 1) scorecard is one player only (can't keep track of two scores at the same time). 2) Download time from PC to unit can be time consuming. 3) 10 course maximum. I however, don't view this as a negative -- how many times does one need more than 10 courses downloaded at any given time? 4) Black and white -- color would be nice, but it's the same argument as the H20 and the H20C -- certainly not a necessity.

Bottom line -- it's highly functional and does exactly what it's supposed to, without having to pay$50 a year.

Was watching one sell on the auction site tonight for $113, but didn't buy it as the seller's feedback wasn't great (had a hard time passing on it tho!)

Yeah...how many times have you hit a great shot, and realize upon walking up to your ball sitting on the front fringe (pin in back), that "yep, could've hit one more club", but didn't because you didn't want to hit it over the green.

I am actually the opposite, I tend to take oneless club right now because I tend to bomb it over the green. I have accepted my inability to hit the green in regulation (par 3 or par 4) soif I can just knock it close and get out with a bogey, I am happy......of course something inside my head won't let me not go for a green in 2 on a par 5 either.....

I think I might have to follow your lead when I get home today. I might wait till end of the week, since I will be on vacation and don't want it to show up at the house while I am gone. But I think that is the machine that I am getting. Will have to compare how we like them once they can get a full workout. grin

Well, I ordered mine on 07/21 and it arrived on 07/24. Used it Sunday after downloading several of my favorite courses. It holds up to 20 courses at any time, all of which are free.

Also discovered that the course I played wasn't mapped, but with the aid of a cart, I was able to map it manually in 15 minutes.

Great unit! Never realized how helpful it is - eliminates any guesswork from distance...but also gives accurate readings of front, center and back green readings...huge help if you know where the pin is located.

And no membership fee.

UPDATE ---

After having this unit for a couple of weeks, I love it even more. Most of the courses I play are available for download. In a matter of seconds, the download is complete. Thus far, I've downloaded 9 courses into the unit (holds 20).

I've also come across 3 courses that weren't currently mapped/available. I emailed the company and requested these coures to be added. Within 3 days, I'd received an email confirming that the requested courses had been added and were ready for download.

After using this several times, it's phenomenal! Very easy to use and accurate and battery life seems good! I've played 4 rounds on the original batteries and they're still running strong (replaceable AAA batteries was a reason I chose this unit -- so in case the batteries died in the middle of a round, I could put new batteries in, vs. having to "recharge" it).

Great unit for anyone in the market!

Eckie, how do you feel it has helped your game? I know I feel like my gps has knocked 6 strokes off my game just because I know which club to hit from 158 versus 168.....

I played 36 holes today in Tampa Bay, I will never complain about heat and humidty in MN every again

Picks -- the last two rounds I played in Brainerd were a best ball format, so I haven't had a chance to dial in my individual score, but I will say that before I had a gps, I'd choose a club based on the "150 stake" or the nearest sprinkler head. Then I'd 'up' a club or 'down' a club, depending on pin placement. Now, I can see the yardage difference between the front, middle and back of a green -- many times it can 30-40 yards from front to back -- or more than a 1 club adjustment. I'm now so much more accurate attacking the green/pin -- had several approach shots inside 10 feet last Saturday. I've been 1 or 2 shots away from breaking 80 this year --- my GPS will get me there!

I hear you on the heat in FL -- this is not the time of year to play golf down there! Nevertheless -- I wouldn't pass on an opportunity to play 36 either!

I agree with your assessment as well. They actually charged us 49 bucks for the first round, and gave us the second round for free. all with a cart........but yes, Tampa Golf in the first part of august is not fun. I drank a bottle of water per hole and still got dehydrated....