• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catch & Release clowns!

I used the term :"endangered species" loosely to make a point. I understand they are contiunally stocked but with what is happening to their waters, DNR budget declines, increased pressure and too many hunters that don't practice proper CPR, the "endangered list" may not be that far off.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe it or not i know an old timer who keeps & eats muskies regularlly up on the big fork. sometimes 3 a week. hes been doin it for 7 or 8 years now. Hmmm i wonder why that fishery has gone down hill like it has. Its pretty sad but its perfectally legal. He has over 30 mounts, Not including just the head mounts or skelton mounts he has. Ya know i remeber a decade ago it was all about cpr of bass bass bass bass bass bass,now theres trophy bass in the metro, now its everything muskie, and by goerge theres trophy muskie fishing in the metro. I LOVE IT. I do have to say though, the next time a guy pulls ten feet away from me to watch me release a musky im going pull by boat up to his & jaw em so hard his fishin days may be over. I know that sounds cruel or unaproperiate but the last 6 or 7 muskies i caught this year i was alone, an fortunatally the net jobs, hook removal, and measurements all went flawless, but all those times i had boats gun it over like ten to 15 feet away to watch. ya know ill start keepin em myself before i put up with nonsense like that. People act like a muskie is dead meat if its been out of the water for more then 30 seconds when in fact often times 2 mins is just fine. i try to keep it well under a minuete myself, but if youve caught lots of muskies then you know things dont always go as planed, even when ultra prepared, and that my freind any pro or guide worth a grain of salt is willing to admit.

Not saying what you do is wrong or anything, but I know personally I have never had a fish out of the water for more than 30 seconds. I rarely would ever exceed 15-20 seconds. Theres no need to because everything is done with the fish in the water. Lift it out for a pic or two, thats ten seconds. Measure if you feel necessary while using a bumpboard that you already dipped in the water prior to lifting the fish out of the water to minimize loss of slime, another ten seconds. And I actually do a water release about 80% of the time anyway, so those fish never come out of the water. I think I enjoy watching good releases more than actually catching the fish, weird I know. Really is easy though.

While on the lake Saturday we happened across a new Wades Wobbler floating along. Attached to it a brass south bend snap swivel and about 18" of what looked like 8 maybe 10# mono. I saw a pontoon with what looked like 2 guys and a kid, 1 was throwing a small muskie sized bucktail on what appeared to be a M actiong walleye spinning rod. I'm pretty sure they are the ones who lost the Wades, my partner didn't have one, now he does.

I know I should have went and talked to them but I didn't, just glad they casted or got snagged and lost it not in a fish's mouth. Next time I see them I will stop and try and educate them, if they don't listen I'll follow and fill my box.

Who's the clown here? It's bad enough when you catch a fish and are rated or berated on your C&R skills from afar, but when you are unknowingly judged on the type of equiptment you are using.....again from afar isn't this just a little much? Too many self proclaimed experts in the world today or on the water anyway.

Well, if you have enough money to afford a boat and a couple muskie lures, you have enough money to spend a couple extra bucks on some quality fishing line and some leaders. A little common sense goes a long ways! Who's the clown now?

Seen from about 100' away, I walleye fish to and know the difference between a Cherrywood spinning rod with a 1500-2000 series spinning reel and a muskie set up. My fault for not saying something I know but won't happen again.

I would love to bring my "Bozo the clown" costume down there and some dawgs, but I'm trying to save some money right now. The Clown industry has been kind've slow with the economy and all. grin

Thanks for the offer though, much appreciated. Keep on em!

CH, like I said, it's pretty much common sense. Not sure what you are trying to start here and why.....maybe find something better to do with your time.

The "common sense" you refer to should also tell you that unless a law is broken you should mind your own business when it comes to someone's personal choice of fishing gear. As for "finding something better to do with your time" you and every other peeping tom should do the same when you all feel the urge to critique someone else's fishing gear, picture taking or fish handling from a far.

I'm thinking about going up to Mille Lacs to troll some crankbaits for walleyes. Anyone know where I can find 1/2 lb. test mono line (half a pound)? If not, I might have to settle for 1 lb. test mono line.