Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rick Reisewitz

Beaver Dam Lake Fishing Reports - Cumberland WI

16 posts in this topic

Heading up with the gf to her friends cabin next weekend. Just wondering if anyone knows how the fishing is? I got the usual it has really good fishing from her friend like i normally get from the gf or her friends. Not looking for any spots just what to target or if it is even worth towing the boat up and buying a wisconsin liscense.

Yea its worth taking the boat. There are some nice eyes in the lake but I would target the crappies which can get very nice 13+ inch's. I caught them this past winter and spring.

some in the weedy bays to the south and north.This may sound funny but if you go and get ANY largemouth please keep all legal ones. We are having a problem with the population on all the lakes and it is effecting the other fish species and sooner or later it will start to stunt the remainder of the largemouth population. People may not understand this and think we hate LM or are walleye lovers but that is not the case and the purpose of this is to keep the fisheree in balance. Hope you understand.

vman59 is there any rivers near by that would be runable in a jet boat to chase some smallies. I'm not much of a lake guy and looking at the map beaver dam doesn't look like my kind of lake(flat bottom boats and waves) but i'm stuck going either way.

You're looking at an hour driver either way to the St. Croix or Chippewa. You might be able to get a boat on the Red Cedar which would be a lot closer.

Red Cedar would be the closest bet. But take caution as the water depth really varies. that said I have caught smallies on the Red Cedar mainly between Cameron and Chetek.

Thanks for the replies i just finally figured out the wisconsin dnr site. I found two ramps that i a can put in on the red cedar. I figure i will try out beaver dam on friday during the day and maybe try the river on saturday deping on how it goes on friday.

I'm heading up tomarrow night and i am wondering where i can buy my fishing license at? Can i get it at most gas stations like here or do i have to go else where? I know last winter most gas stations where not selling the snowmobile trail passes.

go to indianhead bait in Cumberland. Its also a great sportshop and he gives good info.

Thanks I ended up finding a few places in cumberland on the dnr web site. I'm still trying to get use to the wisconsin one it is alot different then minnesota dnr site.

Yea its worth taking the boat. There are some nice eyes in the lake but I would target the crappies which can get very nice 13+ inch's. I caught them this past winter and spring.

Hey Vman59,

I've basically grown up on that lake (Dad's family grew up on the lake and the house is a family lake house/cabin), so I've spent a lot of my summers growing up there fishing. I don't get to fish the lake too much these days, but I have been out there more over the last few years and I would love to know how/where you are consistantly catching 13 inch crappies? laugh

We have a few big extended family fishing trips up there and we are lucky to see a couple crappies even break the 11 inch mark let alone the 13 inch. We sure can pound the heck out of the 7-10 inchers though! Are you measuring the crappies or just guessing the size?

As for walleye, are you having any success with them in daylight hours? And if so can you share a few tips? wink I've been trying to target the eyes more there now that the population has improved, but aside from a few incidental catches, I can never seem to consitantly get into them.

Ever have much luck with the trout they are dumping in there? My Dad got a nice 26inch brown off the sunken island last summer. I think when I'm up there in a few weeks I'm going to do some trolling for them and the lakers that have been stocked.

Thanks for any tips/advice you can share!

nope I have never gotten any of the trout at all. As for the crappie and walleye I mostly fish the hard water season. But I have heard from folks that they have been getting some very big crappies working the deep weed edges in the evenings. Try to get out when the traffic on the lakes is about as low as it will get. Hope this helps somehow.

We always pound the crappies on top of, or along side the weeds. I guess I'll try going deeper and see what happens.

I really think the walleye is a night bite on that lake, being it's so clear.

You make it sound like fishing it in the winter is worth the trip. I've always wanted to fish that in the winter, but never get over that way....maybe this year will be the year!

Thanks man!

Has anyone been getting any eye's lately out there? I was thinking about taking a trip over there and doing some trolling.

I have never fished it.

I didn't spend much time fishing but was able to catch a few largemouth and some northerns friday after the rain and saturday morning.