• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It is just you. They have been hit hard by distemper the last few years in many patrs of the state, you may see more big ones, but not the little ones like you would normaly see this time of year, now if you ask me there are sure a lot of dead grays on the road.

I have seen more coons this spring that i have saw in the last few. Saw two batches of 6 in the last week. Hopefully they are finally shaking the disease and [PoorWordUsage]. May be a good year to get a bunch, but the price will make a guy puke.

I was out west on Hwy 7 past Excelsior a couple weeks ago and I told one of my sons that there should be a suicide hotline for coons, with all of them I had seen hit along the roads. The last week, I've seen a bunch of young ones. My #2 son saw five in the farmyard by New Germany two nights ago. He got four of them. Racoons carry diseases that can affect horses so he shoots every coon and possum that he gets a crosshair on. The farm is just off the Crow River and he gets a lot of coon traffic there.

Well it looks like the fur market is so bad right now that you wont even be able to get rid of them this fall as the buyers are sitting on the last 2 years of fur. I would bet only the best grade and extra extra big coon will be bought and the rest either at a dollar or nothing at all. If it don't turn around you will be seeing alot more coon hit on the roads as no one will be after em in the fall/winter.

Just the REAL trappers will be out this fall, and I am very happy.

agree!

I just had a long talk with my fur buyer lastnight, and its not going to be good this year. I might be freezing furs for a year or tanning and holding on.

I was kayaking on the Blue Earth river on Sunday. I talked to an older gentleman who was on the bank south of Vernon Center. He was trapping coons to keep them from destroying his garden.

He told us he has trapped 90 so far this year.

90 wow, what a stupid piece of trash, get his name and turn him in. I bet he is not killing the deer and pheasents that are doing the smae. Turkeys do more damage to gardens than coon, ask any farmer who has a lot of thme around.

90 wow, what a stupid piece of trash, get his name and turn him in. I bet he is not killing the deer and pheasents that are doing the smae. Turkeys do more damage to gardens than coon, ask any farmer who has a lot of thme around.

Amen Brownie, I hope he gets busted, unless he has a permit of course. But I don't think its very likely that he got a permit for or ethical to go to the river that probably isn't right next to his garden and start decimating the area coon population. Trap them by the garden, not off on some travelway where coon that don't even hit the garden run. Silly, and illegal, I hope he gets turned in.

One strand of electric fence and a cheap fencer work better, without the illegal waste of a natural resource. To the guy with the horses, [PoorWordUsage], what disease is this that is now transfered between coons and the equine species. I grew up on an Arabian farm with 21 animals and a couple summers there were reds and coons that ate out of the feed tubs, we told our vets about it and they didn't say anything, and one of them teaches at the U. Good to see you boast about your son illegally killing coons on the internet. Get the OK from the area CO and go ahead, but until then its breaking the law and wrong.

Maybe they do, but coon get blamed for a lot of damage turkeys and even deer do. I have know people who have had to plant their gardens twice as the turkeys dug up the seeds. I have 2 famrers who let me trap and tell me every year kill some of those turkeys will ya, but if I did that and reported it here I would get lynched, but to he** with the coon right, they are not walleyes or turkeys or deer so no one care about them besides the 5000 or so trappers in MN.

He and everyone else have a right to protect their property "without a permit" for certain "protected" animals...here's the dnr ruling on this...

Taking a nuisance animal

Nuisance animals are wildlife (not domesticated animals like dogs or cats) that cause property damage. Some animals which are normally protected by Minnesota Statute can be taken without a license or permit if they are doing damage. The animals included under this provision of Minnesota law include: mink, squirrels, rabbit, hare, raccoon, lynx, bobcat, fox, muskrat, opossum and beaver. Other unprotected birds include the English sparrow, starling, and common pigeon. All of these animals may be taken by the landowner, manager or occupant if the animal is causing property damage.

When taking protected nuisance animals, notify a Conservation Officer within 24 hours. Please refer any inquiries you may have regarding this list to the DNR Information Center. What does "taking" mean? Taking means capturing, relocating or killing a nuisance animal. This can be done in any manner except by the use of poison, artificial lights or with a motor vehicle.

Exactly, there's no way that guy had 90 coon doing damage. I also can assure you no one in the DNR would find it even remotely acceptable that the guy is going to some river/creek that is not directly adjacent to his garden to trap these "nuisance" coon.

Also, lichen fox, I would LOVE to see someone capture,relocate or kill a LYNX under the above described provision. That would be a laugher. Where did you get that info and when was it dated.

I was also unaware that any animal could be transported live in MN. That is in direct contradiction of the trapping regulations, but I realize the actual statutes are what the laws are, not what is printed in the annual handbook.

I never even thought of those aspects John, I need to just stay over at T-man for my info and reading as some of these "outdoorsman" on here get my blood going too much. That would just be sweel if some ding bat trapped and killed a lynx, than you, me and few other guys on here would be in a world of hurt.

WoW! I remeber back in the day when I had my Treeing walkers we sold coon for $40.00-$75.00 a hide for nice big prime one. Now it looks like you can't even give them away. Thats to bad. Sure had alot of goodtimes running them with the dogs. We were happy to make back gas money. The reason we ended up quiting is that in our area people became very protective of there land and since one cant control where the coon trail might lead we ended up getting shot at a few times. I decided it was time to hang it up. Good post topic. Good luck to you guys who still hunt with dogs.