• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

In the market for a new auger...

dustin85

I will be buying a new Auger this year, and would love some input from those of you with more experience than me. (I only have a hand auger as of now) I am not set on what I want yet. I have used a friends Strikemaster electric, and I like the fact that it is quiet, doesn't smell up the house, and there is no issues with it starting :-) I also just saw the new StrikeMaster Strike Lite 4 stroke on a web site....does anyone have any experience with these? I would love to hear pros and cons of these augers, as well as any others out there. Thanks in advance!

I have used a Nils for the past 4 yeasrs and can say nothing but good about them. They are light, cut very fast and seem to be very durable.

http://www.outdoorprostore.com/nils-master.html

If you're looking for one that doesnt smoke, check out the Ice gator, its an awesone cutting auger for a battery powered auger. They only sell the powerhead but one can put a Nils auger on it and it may cut faster than the gas powered Nils.

http://www.icegator.com/

I have a StrikeLite. I have nothing but good things to say about it, IMO best auger out there. Quiet, light and no mixing of fuel. It is also very fuel efficient, I fish alot in the winter, and never have to refill it, one tank lasts a long time.

I love my Nils auger as well. It's fast, light and the engine is rated very highly. It's perfect for those who like to look for fish rather than drilling two holes and waiting them out.

I'm also hearing good things about the new strikemasters coming out but haven't have a chance to use one yet.

I agree with you guys that the Nils are top notch. Used one once. I thought my strikemaster was fast, but wow those are machines. My problem was how much they were compaired to the Strikemaster. If I had the extra cash, nils for sure.

I have the strike lite and absolutely love it. You can't really go wrong with any of them, but decide what you want the most.

I got the strike lite because it is light, no smoke, no mixing, fuel efficient and cuts just as fast as anything else.

wait for the new strike master to come out it will be the fastest drilling and lightest auger out

i got to use one in march of last year it was a proto type and they said it was coming out this year i would highly reccomend it

StrikeMaster and Jiffy both will have new units out, with new power heads in response to Tecumseh no longer being there primary engine provider.

It will be interesting to see what directions they take. The Strikemaster prototype was a good configuration last winter and those who ran them found them solid.

The first test configuration from Jiffy last season, I was not too impressed with it. Some more work was needed there and they went back to the drawing board with it to fix some bugs with the protective shrouds on the power head. A very good motor, just needed to get beefed up to Jiffy standards and made more user friendly in the field. Second tests were much better.

Will we see new electric options? Very likely will as they are becoming more popular and adaptable to the needs of the modern ice angler.

We will most likely see more high RPM engines down the line, far lighter and smaller in size and weight than we were accustomed to in the past.

More 4-stokes will be added if the high RPM Robin 1.6 HP engines do not prove out well..that is my guess anyway. If the cost of the 4-stokes come down, than this may change quickly.

The problem for some down the line may be finding the power to do 10" holes, it may get hard to find 10" ice augers in the future. My guess there is 9" may be the tops in the future, if not 8".