• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kid's musky set up?

bmc

My 11 year old daughter got bitten by musky fever this past Wednsday. She had a 15" smallie on while we were slip bobber fishing and a high 40" musky grabbed it right at the boat and tried to saw it in half. My daughter fought the fish's for about 5 minutes before the 'ski gave up and spit the bass out.

So...............now she needs a kid friendly 'ski set up. I'm thinking something in the lower price range...$100-$150??? I'm thinking she'll be throwing smaller baits like bucktails, bull dawgs, giant bass spinner baits, and smaller cranks.

Thanks,

Brian

Is she able to cast a baitcaster? You could set her up with a shorter rod from Gander like a Guide Series 6'6" or 7' then maybe try and find a reel that she can palm and is comfortable using.

If you're looking for a spinning setup I know there was a guy on here that used to throw only spinning gear and raved about it but I can't remember his name, possible he'll show up in this thread with ideas for you.

When I was younger I used a 6'6 spinning rod/reel with 50lb test. But if she wants a baitcaster my advice is for her not to palm it but have her left hand on the cork past the reel. This will be easier for her to hold onto and also should help her with the hook set IMO.

I'd defintely check out Propster's stuff - I know he takes good care of his gear. Your daughter is lucky to have a dad ready to spend some good cash to get her started - and you're lucky to have a new musky partner.

Good luck!

My nephews and nieces all Muskie fished with me from about the age of 8, they are very adept at casting 6500's I told them its just like snoopy and Barbie, just no button, you use the spool, they catch on fast actually allot faster than teaching an adult.

A 6 foot med heavy and a mepps are all you need.

Now they don't even care if its 40 deg they cast till they want to troll, Boys or Girls it doesn't matter when Muskies get in the blood, Muskies are for all ages.

Take a kid fishing and bring snacks LOL

maddy%20fishing.jpg

Jakecast.jpg

IMO, the set up whether baitcast,spinning or spincast depends on your level of knowledge or ''willingness'' to teach the use, and of course what she wants. i'm sure you know a baitcaster is the way to go for about 90 percent of muskie fishers and if she knows how to use one then a 7' or longer decent rod like an IM8 guide series and a nice reel would be good. i suggest buying her something you would fish with yourself. better to let her have something nice to keep her interested i'd say. if she dives in and can't get enough, it will last for awhile and save you in the end, and if she doesn't? well, you have another decent set-up.

if she or you aren't willing to go the BC route? all of the above suggestions + any good 4000 spinning reel from shimano and an IM8 would do.

about the only spincast i know out there worth using for muskie is the Omega by Zebco. pretty sturdy reel and with the ceramic line guide's and pick-ups you can use spiderwire with it. coupled with the IM8 it would work good enough.

it's hard to enjoy any fishing with inferior equipment, let alone for muskies. smile

BTW, kudos to muskie fool, nice to see those life jackets on those kids. too often that's not the case. cool

Thanks for the replies guys. As with anything else....decisions, decisions, decisions! LOL She has already started casting my set up and does OK with it. Practie makes perfect ya' know!

I should have looked in the "for sale" forum right away, some good deals in there.

Kudos to the guy w/ the kids in life jackets! But one thing is bothering me... Is it because of the law/safety or because if a 60" 'ski pulls them in, they'll be easier to keep track of? grin

Kudos to the guy w/ the kids in life jackets! But one thing is bothering me... Is it because of the law/safety or because if a 60" 'ski pulls them in, they'll be easier to keep track of? grin

BMC - make sure you have a net big enough for a kid AND a musky!! wink

Good for you for getting her at it early.

-erik

Thanks Erik!

I made my own musky cradle out of 2 hockey sticks, some landscape fabric, and a staple gun. All I need to do is put a little weight in the bottom of it and it should be good to go.

Granted I should look arond for a regular net too, but I hardly ever fish 'skis by myself.

Brian

On Jake's very first cast he lifted the bait out of the water and as he did a large fish exploded out of the water at his feet trying to hit, LOL, he said Did you see that LOL, I always wear a jacket with them, I figure its the only way to set an example they dont complain then either which makes it allot more enjoyable for all of us smile.

My buddy and his wife thought they would just swim back to shore one day I suppose 50 yards, she was pretty happy to see me on the bow mount pulling up next to her with a life jacket to trade for the bikini LOL.

He was a bit more stubborn and fought it out but said he would never do it again.

Also have kids throw creepers they love that..