• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My Grease for Bear Bait.

KGPZ

Not sure if you already do this but we bend over saplings, the taller the better (15ft+), and pour grease on the top of the trees then let them back up. Not sure if it makes a big difference but it gets the scent a little higher up so the wind can blow it around the woods a little better. We usually do this on a couple of saplings around the bait sight.

One thing I found to work good is to get a couple pillow cases, put one inside the other, and fill with some bread. Then soak this is a bucket of grease for a while. Hang up in a tree, the higher the better, and let it drip. Grease slowly drips and will last for couple days.

I have no experience with bear hunting or spreading bait or any of that, but as I was in the garage today, I saw my sons squirt gun, the kind that is like a big syringe, what if you dropped 10 or 15 bucks for one of these things and walk around spraying the tops of the those 15 ft. sapplings with a couple squirts of grease. Just a thought.....

Some day I want to go on a bear hunt not only for the experience and the meat (the only time I had it, it was bad, but after reading others here, I know it was miss handled by the shooter), but also for the rug to hang on my wall. I could care less about a deer head, but a bear rug on the wall of my basement would be awesome

I take a garden sprayer and fill it with up. I spray the heck out of my bait area. I also take it with me to the stand and spray all around where I am sitting to help with scent control.

Oh boy, that is a risky move!!! Unless you want a bear in your lap in your groud blind or chewing on your bootlaces in your tree stand, I would not recommend spraying grease where you are going to sit. I made that mistake when I first started many years ago and had a bear trying to crawl in my stand with me. Lets just say I only made that mistake once!!! Don't walk in it and don't get it on your clothes!!