• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lawn / Landscape Pictures 2009

IcePro

It seems like every forum has a lets see your …… post.

Therefore I thought we should start are own gallery of pictures.

I think it would be very interesting to see people’s yards, green grass, landscaping, flowers, ponds, etc.

I am always looking for new ideas and this would give other people ideas on what they might want to do in their own yards.

Leechman....

Nice use of boulders for a natural border around the flower beds. The way you have them laid out as a walk way almost makes it look like you could use it as a go-cart track grin

If the grass was mowed lower it also could be miniature golf.

Thanks for getting the pictures started, hope to post pictures of my yard once I get some pictures taken.

First let me apologize, because this isn't my house, and it is from last year. I do some landscaping on the side, and this photo is from a friends house who I have worked on the last three summers. I will get some photos of my house posted soon.

3735399056_b5ef772c94_o.jpg

The BIG boulders are not my work! I have done the boulder edge, planting, and mulching. My friend insisted he wanted his edging installed like Leechman's. What I call the "tooth" look. He is now VERY happy that I overrode his idea and installed them flat and level to the ground. He mows with a commercial Great Dane stand up mower, and rides right over the edge. Despite the frabic under the small boulder edge, the well fertilized grass does try to spread into the cracks of the small boulders. Round-up a couple times a year cures that headache. Installing the edge this way is slow, tedious, back-breaking work.

Ok, here's my work in progress - suggestions are welcome!

I've decided to expand a long narrow hosta garden. This area is very shady - at the height of summer it gets an hour or two of early morning sun, by 8 AM it's shaded for the rest of the day.

I pulled the area down the hill and want to separate it into tiers, but am hesitant to increase soil depth very much on any part because of the oak roots. My original idea was to use rocks that would be above ground, but am now considering digging them in on the outer border, like Jameson did, in order to minimize trimming.

Since we spend a lot of time at our cabin, the plantings need to be pretty self sufficient as well - they won't get watered every 3 or 4 days. I'd like to add something that will give me a little variation in height & color too. It's pretty hard to see what's in here - hosta, astillbe & bleeding heart are the biggest things so far.

IMG_4228.jpg

dockothebay, I would think most landscape plants aren't winter hardy in Hackensack, so you probably have a very short list to choose from. Besides Hosta I would be tempted to try spirea, dwarf bush honeysuckle, day lilly, Hydrangea, sedums, burning bush, and if it'd live I think a pagoda dogwood would be a sweet backdrop/center piece plant.

Good luck!

Most of my own landscape isn't currently fit for the public's viewing pleasure. Untrimmed, weedy, partially finished. Here are a few pics though:

Hosta Garden

3735886546_42e4040795.jpg

I started the 8 smaller hosta from seed I collected. Their was 9 as the gaping hole indicates, and I don't think the bottom one is gonna make it. They are I think on their 4th summer.

3735090709_881b05d322.jpg

yard-art amongst the hosta. Some sort of creeping sedum around little blue boy.

3735887068_eb34c6716a.jpg

I'm pleased with the ostrich fern blocking out the view of the gas meter. At least in the summer wink

3735888094_922e2c5228.jpg

Work in progress

3735088547_c5b46fe15b.jpg

Benches

3735087737_e4339b8d48.jpg

3735884164_ac093f76be.jpg

The show-off of the day:

Asiatic lilly, maybe?

3735887816_b1efae7a20.jpg

Nice shots Jameson and IcePro - I enjoy seeing other peoples landscaping/yard projects. It gives me too many ideas tho! I need to go on one of the "garden tours" you always see, but that might be dangerous cool

thanks for sharing

Icepro, after seeing your first pick I thought "their has got to be a golf hole or horseshoe pits tucked in there somewhere." After looking at all the pics and going back to the first, now I see them.

Very nice!

Thanks everyone on the kind comments. My wife and I have spent allot of time working on the yard. If you saw pictures from when we first moved in to now you would not recognize it.

Over the last 20 years many changes have occurred.

Started with a sandbox that was turned into a garden, the garden then turned into the fountain area.

The back of the the yard was severally sloped so we put rock landscaping down. Then we removed all the rock and built the retaining wall that you see now.

The patio area was originally a cement slab, we tore that out and put the pavers down (way cheaper than cement).

The fire pit area was the tee box the we converted to tee box / fire pit.

The horse shoe pits were added when the retaining wall was built.

The putting green however did not change, been in the back yard for 20+ years.

Well worth the efforts.

klecker....

It is the real deal, I seeded it with penncross bent grass.

I mow it with a gas powered reel mower with five blades on the reel. Does not cut as nice as a regular greens mower with 8-10 blades but gets the job done.